Re: [suse-multimedia-e] can't open /dev/dsp!
  • From: Eduard Avetisyan <dich_ed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 04:12:54 -0800 (PST)

Ok, then you can check if your sound driver is loaded at all or
not:
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd
This should show a lot of lines with snd-***
or /etc/init.d/alsasound status
This should say "Running", otherwize your driver is not loaded
correctly. If it is, try aplay somefile.wav (or .au). If this
still gives error opening device, you may try to boot to console
mode (without KDE or GNOME, just saying "linux 3" to LILO
prompt) and try aplay once again - this window managers
sometimes load their own sound daemons which conflict with
user-space programs...

Good luck
Eduard