Re: [suse-multimedia-e] Anyone playing midi files on sblive series cards?
  • From: Glenn Holmer <gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 06:19:25 -0600
John Lamb wrote:

> I have unstalled an sblive 5.1 card without problems (SuSE 7.3). I can
> play midi (alsa),
> for example, by using
> # sfxload /usr/share/sfbank/creative/8mbgmsfx.sf2
> and then running kmid
>
> However, I have some questions that can probably be answered by anyone
> who has installed SuSE 7.3 with an sblive card already installed. These
> should help me automate the process of loading the soundfonts.
>
> 1. What should the alsa section (at the end) of /etc/modules.conf look
> like?
> Mine looks like:
> -------------------------------
> # Alsa sound support.
> # Warning: please don't modify comments over aliases 'snd-card-#'
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 off
> options snd snd_cards_limit=1 snd_major=116
>
> # vuMS.9TIiBJnxyM6:SB Live! EMU10000
> alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
> ##jdl added
> post-install snd-card-0 modprobe snd-seq-midi
> ##end of jdl added
> --------------------------------

I'm running 7.2, but I would think it's not much different:

alias sound emu10k1
post-install snd-card-emu10k1 /usr/bin/sfxload /usr/local/sblive/8MBGMSFX.SF2

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.5.10 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
options snd-card-emu10k1 snd_id=card1 snd_index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

> 2. How is the /etc/alsa.d/emu10k1 script used?

I didn't even know there was such a thing; the loading of the
soundfonts can be taken care of by the post-install line above.

> 3. Where is the 8mbgmsfx.sf2 soundfont normally put?

If you use YaST2, there is even an option to let him install those
automatically. It's really neat, you just stick your CD in and he
takes care of it for you. I have 'em in /usr/local/sblive.

> 4. If I single-click on a .mid file in Konqueror I get the embedded
> version of kmid, which plays without sound. How do I tell the embedded
> kmid that I want to use the midi device: Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 -
> Alsa device?

Don't know, it should behave the same whether embedded or not. Try
Settings / MIDI setup, select "Emu10k1 Port 0 - External Midi Port"

Glenn Holmer (gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Performing music well is a matter of distorting the score
to produce the desired illusion, namely the existence of
the score in a pure state.
-Shadow, 1975