Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile (9 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-mobile] openSUSE on UMPC
  • From: Rafa Grimán <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:19:34 +0100
Hi :)

El Thursday 06 March 2008, Stefan Behlert escribió:
Moin,

On Mar 06, 08 09:48:35 +0100, Rafa Grimán wrote:
Hi :)

El Wednesday 05 March 2008, Stefan Behlert escribió:
Hi,

On Mar 05, 08 11:24:38 +0100, Rafa Grim?n wrote:

[...]

I agree with you: adapting applications is complicated. I was just
posting an example. Future (very near future) models are going to be
built with higher resolutions ... but not "standard" resolutions ie
1024x600.

Well, I expect that this will mostly depend on the panel producers. I still
hope to see some day a 10" display with 1280x800 or similiar. You will need
good eye-sight for those, of course :)

True :) In any case, what could really be useful is to get the external
monitor/projector working ... Ahhh. If I could get that to work well ;)

I'm saying this because, let's be honest, nobody really works with these
gadgets. Generally, you plug them into an external monitor and keyboard and
work. And that's something that's missing, external monitor/projector doesn't
work well :(

What I meant is that openSUSE/SLE could include these "weird" resolutions
out of the box (Debian does it). More so since these new devices (UMPCs
and MIDs) are around the corner. For example: Samsung Q1: 7" monitor
1024x600, HSPA, WiFi, Blutooth, ...

I thought at least 1024x600 is supported by sax2. But you have a point
here.

I don't know, never tried that resolution 0:)

Have in mind also that laptops are getting smaller each day,
monitor/screen resolutions (desktop and laptop) are also changing.

Mind you, I'm not saying openSUSE/SLE _should_ support these gadgets. I'm
saying that it would be _interesting_ since other distros are already
supporting (or about to support) them.

Ah, there are a lot of people interested :) So many interesting things, so
few time :(

True. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to see support for UMPCs/MIDs on
openSUSE 11/SLE 11. I just thought that maybe I could give some ideas for
future roadmaps.

I'm not personally worried since I've been using Linux since 1995 and have no
problems, but maybe for new users ... Since openSUSE is one of the easiest
distros (most user-friendly), it would be nice to see it on the UMPCs/MIDs ;)

If you (SUSE/Novell) ever decide to go that way, I can send you the info to
get openSUSE up and running on the Asus R2Hv.

Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman@xxxxxxxxx