Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile (9 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-mobile] openSUSE on UMPC
  • From: Rafa Grimán <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:48:35 +0100
Hi :)

El Wednesday 05 March 2008, Stefan Behlert escribió:
Hi,

On Mar 05, 08 11:24:38 +0100, Rafa Grim�n wrote:
[...]

It would be quite nice if openSUSE/SLE had some type of support for
UMPCs/MIDs. And it wouldn't be so difficult. For starters, if
openSUSE/SLE could support 800x480 out of the box, that would be very
nice.

This is unfortunately not so easy as it sounds. The device support you
mentioned later is much easier, that should tell you something.
Most applications today expect higher resolutions, and the 480 are a big
problem for them.
I see more hope that we will see devices with higher resolution that an
adaption of the applications to the smaller resolution.
Yes, for cell phones and smart phones this is done, but that's a little bit
different, and only covers a selected part of applications.

I agree with you: adapting applications is complicated. I was just posting an
example. Future (very near future) models are going to be built with higher
resolutions ... but not "standard" resolutions ie 1024x600.

What I meant is that openSUSE/SLE could include these "weird" resolutions out
of the box (Debian does it). More so since these new devices (UMPCs and MIDs)
are around the corner. For example: Samsung Q1: 7" monitor 1024x600, HSPA,
WiFi, Blutooth, ...

Have in mind also that laptops are getting smaller each day, monitor/screen
resolutions (desktop and laptop) are also changing.

Mind you, I'm not saying openSUSE/SLE _should_ support these gadgets. I'm
saying that it would be _interesting_ since other distros are already
supporting (or about to support) them.

MHO

Rafa
--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman@xxxxxxxxx