Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile (9 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-mobile] openSUSE on UMPC
  • From: Rafa Grimán <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:24:38 +0100
Hi :)

Is there any effort being put into openSUSE/SLE so that it can run on UMPCs?
I'm asking this because the UMPCs seem to be the new fad: Intel's pushing
hard on these types of devices, so are laptop vendors (Samsung, Fujitsu,
Asus, ...)

I bought a UMPC (ASUS R2Hv) some time ago and it wasn't easy to get it up and
running with openSUSE 10.3.

I've heard Ubuntu is developing a version for MID and UMPCs (Ubuntu Mobile and
Embedded), Red Flag's got another distro/version, Moblin, ...

It would be quite nice if openSUSE/SLE had some type of support for
UMPCs/MIDs. And it wouldn't be so difficult. For starters, if openSUSE/SLE
could support 800x480 out of the box, that would be very nice.

I know device support is a bit complicated, but at least on the R2Hv all
devices are supported, you just have to download the drivers (many of them
precompiled and copy them over to a directory).

Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman@xxxxxxxxx