Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile (18 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-mobile] Help Need with Dell Inspiron E1705 and wireless set-up
  • From: "K. Elo" <maillists@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:03:31 +0200
Hi Ralph,

Ralph De Witt wrote (21.3.2007 16:50):
> Hello All:
> I just purchased a Dell Inspiron E1705 with a wireless minicard that
> has a Broadcomm 4311 chip. I am new to opensuse and seem unable to
> get wireless going. So far I have found no advice that works. Can
> someone help me out. Thanks a million.

Either read:
- http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=41983

Or try the following steps (worked for me with my AcerAspire 3020 with
BCM43xx-based WLAN just fine):

1) Install (with YaST) following packages:
- bcm43x-fwcutter
- wlan-kmp-default
- kdenetwork3-wireless
- wireless-tools

2) Install firewire (by entering in console as root):
'install_bcm43xx_firmware' (without quotes!)

3) Now Your computer should fetch the newest firmware for Broadcom.

3) When finished, start Yast->Network Devices->Network card
- Select "User controlled with NetworkManager"
- You should now see Your WLAN-controller as "unconfigured decive"

4) Configure ("Edit") the card. Remember to check that the controller
uses the module "bcm43xx " (Edit, on the Address-Tab, select
Advanced->Hardware Details).
- Please note: the card will be configured as eth#, not as wlan#

5) Finish the configuration of Network cards and close Yast.

5) Start KNetworkManager and activate wireless

6) When You now click on the KNetworkManager icon on the dock panel, You
should see all wireless networks available in your neighbourhood. Just
select the right one with a mouse click and wait until the connection
is established.

Hope this helps!
Kimmo