Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile-de (333 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [suse-laptop] Re: Neuer Laptop?
  • From: adham hashibon <adham.hashibon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:56:48 +0100
Hi all,

I just want to ask, if suse has a sponsered laptop checking program, i.e. some
sort of a Suse certified sticker that manufactureres can "proudly" stick on
those models which work perfectly with linux! why Novell-Suse are not trying
to do so? would it really be a pain for hp/dell/Lenovo(IBM) to certify such
models and have a sticker on them.... it would make it easier to us to find
the right laptop! Why it has to be so unfair! Isn#t it time that those
manufacturers who enjoy profits also because WE BUY MACHINES to run Linux
should also show some consideration?

A year or so ago, when I got my hp nx 9005 AMD 2200+ laptop, I could not get
the cpufrequency scaling right (it was before powersave days!) so I contacted
AMD, they answered pilitly that they do not support Linux, not that they will
release a drive for their cpu powernow technology, and the machine had a
sticker that says its designed for Win XP! I find it kind of irritating,
since at the same time AMD was playing with Linux to push their 64 bit chips!

What do you think? what are the reasons that no Linux distributer is doing
this still??? I think Linux had come a loooooong way that those companies
have to take us the linux clients too into consideration!

Can Novel-Suse and Redhat and mandrake and other big Linux distros team
together to push for such a sticker thing... I mean that what MS$ does, What
linux needs maybe is a joint untited Linux like push, but not in the actual
distribution rather in the marketting!!!
I hope I did not write to much nonsense for one saturday morning.. and excuse
my english, I still cannot master Deutsch good enough to write this...

Cheers
And Happy New Year!