Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile-de (333 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [suse-laptop] Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem mit SuSE 9.2 auf Thinkpad T22
  • From: Teemu Nikkilä <tnikkila@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:43:19 +0200
On Friday 14 January 2005 21:01, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 03:08:49PM +0100, Jakob Wefers wrote:

> > > With ACPI on the other hand the only way to make it suspend is to
> > > echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep.
> >
> > I don't understand this - I'm not such a linux expert ... what means
> > echo?
>
> don't bother - powersaved will handle this for you.

I'm still running 9.1 and after trying an evening to configure powersaved to
suspend I gave up. The problem was that events like closing the lid are not
recognized, so I just tried with brute force and it worked well. Maybe it
would work with powersaved now, haven't tried it. If you want to test
suspending with ACPI like I did, log in as root, unload the sound module,
eject PCMCIA cards and finally send "4" to /proc/acpi/sleep. To resume I have
to press the power button, the blue Fn-key or opening the lid do not work.
I'm not at the laptop at the moment, so I can't give the module name or the
script, but you can find the module with "lsmod" (as root), maybe even "lsmod
| grep snd" would work. So to summarize:

%ssh -l root localhost
#cardctl eject
#lsmod
#rmmod "your_sound_module"
#echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep

See it suspend (- or not ;-)) and resume.

#modprobe "your_sound_module"
#cardctl insert

> > > I also eject PC Cards before going to sleep. A simple
> > > script can handle the process nicely and also load modules and insert
> > > cards on resume.
> >
> > Maybe you can post the script...?

If you need it, I'll post it when I get to the machine. The script is just
what is described above. And if you end up using it you may want to configure
sudo to allow normal users to suspend. The nice side effect is that you can
also allow normal users to eject PCMCIA-cards with sudo. I wonder if this is
possible with some dedicated PCMCIA-tool?

> I'd suggest you use powersaved, we can support you much better if you do
> ;-) --

I'd love to use it if only I knew how to make it work. Will you help us to
accomplish this?

And finally - should the subject line read something like "ACPI powersaved
suspend on IBM T21/T22" from now on?

--
Teemu Nikkilä