Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-mobile-de (438 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [suse-laptop] Choppy sound on Vaio with powersaved on 9.1
  • From: Diego Camacho <dcamacho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:36:59 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Diego Camacho wrote:
Hi again.
I have traced it to cpufreqd daemon. If I put
POWERSAVE_CPUFREQD_MODULE="off"
on /etc/sysconfig/powersave/common

sound is ok again. Time to study cpufreqd...

Ciao.

When playing a sound from KDE and/or ALSA, and the powersaved daemon is
running, I get choppy sound. If I stop powersaved with "rcpowersaved
stop" the sound is normal again. This choppy sound is as the sound does
not comes out for some miliseconds various times per second. This choppy
effect is regular in time.

I have tried to change values from /etc/powersaved.conf with no effect
whatsoever, in particular the default value (333ms) sample rate for the
daemon.

My theory is that powersaved scans /proc some times per second to detect
ACPI events. This seems to interrupt the playing of a sound since they
both (and others...) share the INT9. --

Murphy's 5th Law: If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.