Re: [opensuse-marketing] Pad alternatives
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:14:00 -0600
On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 22:50 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

Several efforts lately I have done have been stymied by the lack of a
stable doc collaboration tool. Some people suggest Google Apps, but
umm... meh.

Well, just someone with a google account and using google docs
(you don't need a google account nor logging in if it is shared
as "anyone with the link can edit", which is the same level of
(lack of) security as we have with etherpads ;))

But you do need a google account to create such a document.

Google does indeed offer the most logical choice for us, although I see
a proliferation issue with using so many different accounts. (More
inconvenience than anything else.) But my only real concern is the
"purists." There are people who disdain the use of non-fully open
sourced services and some will balk at using Google. I'm certainly not
a purist, but... I do respect their stances and would like to see us use
a tool that doesn't inflict on some political ideologies. That said,
we simply don't seem to have any logical alternative until someone
creates a more stable pad service, I guess.

Not to mention that Google Docs is glaringly known in the blind
community for not being an accessible service.

Thoughts?

Hosting our own has been declined by darix because it is not
packaged as an RPM (doing so is very painful AFAICR). We could
bypass the hosting team at SUSE and host it on opensu.se instead
but then again, I don't think that it would be more stable
running on our own infrastructure, it's more probably a bunch of
flaws in the software itself.

I recall you doing a test implementation last year and it was woefully
unstable. Would it be worth running another test with the latest
version of etherpad-lite and seeing if its any better now?

Just to reiterate, the ietherpad "permanent" outage hurt a lot of people
out there. There was no backup service included with the site and when
their Amazon EC2 hosted service hit a snag, everyone around the world
lost their documents permanently. (Lesson learned - We must make backup
copies of everything we store online.) So, an opensu.se service should
also incorporate some kind of failback/backup method.

cheers

L'chaim!