Re: [opensuse-marketing] openSUSE Magazine
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 07:10:05 -0500
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday, December 06, 2011 05:48:01 PM Gregory Zysk wrote:
On 12/04/2011 02:53 PM, Manu Gupta wrote:
Hi All,

I think its the perfect oppurtunity for everyone to start working on
openSUSE Magazine.  We all have been interested but the idea got lost
somewhere since none of us had enough time.

One of the results of GCI was design for the magazine. While printing
of the magazine maybe very expensive. I think we can create this
magazine for inviting new sponsors to the project and also for the
upcoming openSUSE Conference.  So printing a few 100 copies and
sending it across should not matter but thats upto Jos to decide.

Please have a look at the design, I will soon set up it in the artwork
repo for openSUSE and if somebody can do that for me, it will be great
as I have bandwidth and speed limitations as of now. Patches are
always welcome :)
http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/view/google/gci2011/7174228

Thanks a lot.

I am sorry, but I have to interject on this. Manu, I have seen you do
this times before and it is really bad taste. This is not your
initiative, but N.B. Prashanth's and Stella's idea, which was initiated
at the Marketing Hackfest in Nuremberg after the oSC. I know because I
was in the original list of correspondence for this initiative and also
have been tracking it since I believe Prashanth's idea was a very good
and unique.

If there is anything that needs to be changed in this project more than
anything it is the killing of initiatives by certain members of this
community, only to use it later to their own benefit. So, Manu you have
absolutely no right to take credit for this as it is not your idea.

I would request that this matter be looked into by the election
committee and all others to verify that the candidates are campaigning
on their own merits rather than trying to steal ideas to make themselves
look better.

Sincerely,

Gregory
I am sorry, but I have to interject on this. I doubt he was stealing an idea
considering openSUSE trademarks are property of SUSE and the community.
Resuscitating an idea doesn't seem to be hijacking when there is no profit and
only the community would benefit or take a liability. Chances are I'm missing
something here, but getting pissy over whos idea something is seems rather
silly in an open source project.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador

Manu, Stella and N.B. Prashanth's and put a lot work into the
Magazine, they had a etherpad up, called for writers. It would have
been best to search the e-mail archives reached out to them to see we
could get what they had started and move with that.

I know I talked about a year ago doing something like Ubuntu's Full
Circle when I ran in 2010. I was happy to see some people take up the
call and try. The thing to keep in mind that you don't need to start
big, get a group of people start. I have stated this many times. I
have done magazine layout. So putting something together and create a
pdf would be easy.

Maybe guys at the next marketing meeting we get a group together that
want to do this and try.

Let move beyond the who idea, because I mind and I have stated many
times. We are good that talking and writing e-mails, but bad at taking
action, at least N.B. Prashanth and Stella started working on it.

Pup

--
(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member