[opensuse-marketing] Re: The release notes/product highlights for 12.1
On 2011-10-25 01:14:31 (+0200), Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 24 Oct 2011 22:35:37 Ilya Chernykh wrote:
I think you could add info on KDE3 being included in 12.1.
Possibly it worth mentioning that this makes asylum for at least a part of
users who dislike Gnome 3.

This is my strong objection to mentioning KDE 3 in our 12.1 marketing and
release notes. SUSE has a long and undistinguished history of letting noisy
tails wag the whole dog, but there is no need for the openSUSE project to
continue this.
[...]

+1 to everything you wrote (and I was a strong proponent of
keeping KDE3 with KDE4 in.. I don't even remember which version
that was.. :))

But the situation has changed, a lot. KDE3 really is a dead cow.
While the point back then was that almost everyone was on KDE3
and that KDE4 wasn't ready for prime time, and that we would
alienate a lot of users, this is absolutely not the case any
more as of today. Everyone besides a small niche has moved to
KDE4, and KDE4 is definitely ready for the job.

Let's please, pretty please, not take pointless technical
decisions just to have a few more marketing bullet points to
sell. Because that's what it really is.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser