Re: [opensuse-marketing] User Days/Open Week
On Saturday, September 24, 2011 07:39:27 AM Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Saturday 24 September 2011 06:22:56 Benjamin Donald-Wilson wrote:
Hello everybody,
Seeing as Ubuntu User Days and Open Week are coming up I have a idea
for the openSUSE community to do something too. The idea of User Days
and Open Week are that people run IRC based session about it like
using Firefox, switching from another OS, and others. User Days should
run over 1 weekend and try to have a session every hour like
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDaysTeam/natty starting with a intro about
User Days. Open Week would happen a week or two before a new release
and should focus on the previous release as it turns it into the new
*stable* release.

Thinking this would require a team of at least 3 or 4 people with
monthly meetings and I am more then happy to lead the team if the
community does not object.
Hi Ben!

First of all, I love the idea! Second, approval - we're OPENsuse, so if you
want to do this, nobody can stop you ;-)

I do not exactly understand the timing thing. This is meant to happen just
BEFORE a new release? Does it not make sense to do it just AFTER a release
so we can showcase the new features?

In any case, you mention it's needed to have a (large) number of sessions
on a variety of things. It might make sense to start a piratepad with
ideas for sessions, then try to find people to pick and do a session etc.

Cheers,
Jos

I like Benjamin's idea.

Pre-release sessions using anything from Beta to RCx will help to extend the
buzz, from after release to period prior to release.

1) This will help to have interested waiting for new release involved in this
kind of activity instead to keep them on standby as it is now.

2) Not everyone will answer on a call for bug testing as it sounds so
technical, but using pre-release to see how it works can be also bug report
generator.

3) We have a lot of new stuff this time and increased number of people able to
help with launch and right after launch can be only advantage.

Where to ask for interested, IRC, Forums, other ML.
When, as soon as some etherpad, or mail list/forums post has some content that
we can discuss.

--
Regards,
Rajko