Re: [opensuse-marketing] desktop statistics...
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

I'd like to find out how many active openSUSE based desktops are in
active use.

Here's a proposal that evolved from a discussion during lunch break
today:

The default home page of all browsers on opensuse points to a very
simple url, like opensuse.org/home

That page is so usefull that almost all users will appreciate it.

For example, it just consists of a very plain and simple
search bar (like this well-known one: http://www.google.de/firefox/).

Or, maybe even better, it simply offers a number of search engines, and
it will, based on a cookie, from here on replace itself with that search
engine --- or even a blank page (about:blank).

The trick obviously is the durable cookie.  The day the cookie is set is
the first log in of this desktop user.  Every time the user comes back,
the cookie helps to bean count the life span of this desktop.

If the cookie is rejected, I suggest to give an explanatory page, trying
to convince that this is a good cookie, respecting privacy and all.

In that vein I also suggest to *not* store the preferred search engine
on the server, but to put that into the cookie, alongside the first
access time, plus a random hash.

Rationale behind this:  There is tons of guesswork how many desktops we
have conquered.  This proposal replaces that by facts.

Feedback appreciated,

I really like your idea, but it has to be done by someone just that.
Part of it involves
1. making a new page with css and js
2. getting in touch with Wolfgang to include it in firefox as a
replacement for homepage, and also other browsers like rekonq or
konquerer

Part one was discussed earlier but never came into action (without the
tracking beacon idea) afaik
Just that.

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser                     SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
+49-911-74053-574                      Maxfeldstraße 5

Regards
Manu Gupta