Re: [opensuse-marketing] openSUSE Newspaper Advert
On Saturday 28 May 2011 09:47:18 jdd wrote:
Le 28/05/2011 10:33, Stuart Tanner a écrit :

I fear you miss completely the point. Most computer users (large
public ones) are completely computer illiterate; Most do not know that
the monitor (screen) is not the computer, don't know what is a
programm or an application.

I made windows to linux migration, in fact mostly word to openoffice
and the only thing the users wanted to know was 'where is my "icon"'.
Once they understood that openoffice icon was slightly different from
the word one and know the new one, they where satisfied. (but here was
a sysadmin to configure they computer)

Most dont even know what version of windows they run.

Buffalo, Apple, TomTom to name but a few.

Do you think you will make Apple change??

the only location we can go is professional systems; Once people know
Linux run on they professional computer, they can use it at home (an
can ask the company admin in case od problem).

On the public, we can only gain the computer addicts that are not also
game addicts (and most of they friends)

the problem is not ease of use, but habit and comercial power

jdd

I doubt Apple will change but i encourage people to Android instead.

As for Buffalo and TomTom, Buffalo are seriously considering it, because the
do sell their products to industry as well as domestic users and industry are
asking for it also.

TomTom many have tried for many years to get them to support Linux, but for
both of these companies we need to get a cross ditrobution group to sign
partitions and submit it to the companies, maybe then they will include
support.

If they use Linux in their boxes, they should be made to include Linux Support
to upgrade and maintain those boxes also.

Buffalo can be acheived using FreeLink.

As for SysAdmins, well as technical support and retailers I want to offer that
level of support they get anyway. There are companies out their offering
windows support via call centre, so why can't we do the same for Linux?
--
Kind Regards
Stuart Tanner

Bolton Linux