Re: [opensuse-marketing] Elevator pitches
On Thursday 19 May 2011 11:15:34 Will Stephenson wrote:
On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:05:59 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
For those among us (esp our ambassadors) who frequently talk to people
about openSUSE, I have drafted up three elevator pitches for respectively
beginner, advanced and pro linux users to explain to them why THEY should
check out openSUSE.

The pitches can be found on http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Why_openSUSE
and I'd be very happy with improvements. In case they are obvious, please
just edit the wiki (that's what it is for) to make sure we don't end up
in huge discussions about minor details* ;-)

At LinuxTag I was challenged by a user to say 'why openSUSE over Kubuntu?'
and had a think about a better answer than 'our KDE is better'. The
answer I gave him was that openSUSE is a project which plays nicer with
its neighbours, so by using and contributing to openSUSE you are
benefitting Free Software generally, not just Ubuntu. Is that a fair
answer? Do should we include such comparisons in our elevator pitches?

Actually, that's in the 2nd and 3rd elevator pitches. For those new to linux,
it's not really relevant - we shouldn't bother them with the
infighting/competition. But the 2nd and 3rd level (ppl who know linux and ppl
who already contribute) should certainly be told about that. But again, if
it's not in there clear enough, fix it, as I did have it in mind when writing.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, KDE Developer, openSUSE Boosters Team
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB