Re: [opensuse-marketing] "Learning Linux Through openSUSE" workshop
  • From: Tony Su <tonysu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:09:26 -0700
As a fairly experienced presenter,

I also fully support the creation and use of slides.

Slides can give your presentation structure.
Slides can reinforce your talking points by giving a visual cue to
what is spoken.
Slides can provide a historical assist to anyone reviewing your
presentation at a later date.

But,
It's important to avoid these common mistakes using slides.

1. By far and away, the worst thing you can do is read your
presentation directly off the slides. Your head will be down (no eye
contact), typically people cannot read in an interesting way (boring
people to death) and above all if you can't say anything more
interesting than what people can read in your slides, why should they
even listen to you?

2. Turn your back on the audience to point at your slide on the
screen. People will love your backside (not).

BTW - It's a real low point if you combine mistakes 1 and 2 together... :)

3. If you're too dependent on your slides, you'll lose interactivity
with your audience. Depending on topic and size, I usually invite
interruptions and adjust -- Instead of forcing people to follow the
slides.

So, for example if you want to take a look at a couple of my slide
decks at the following URL you can probably learn quite a bit without
actually hearing me speak but whenever I do present on these topics I
never lack an interested audience... They know that time listening to
me in person is worthwhile even if they've already seen the slide
deck.

http://sites.google.com/site/4techsecrets/slide-presentations

Everyone has a different personal style but I feel very comfortable
doing it this way...

HTH,
Tony