[opensuse-marketing] What is our identity?
  • From: Manu Gupta <manugupt1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:59:25 +0530
Hi all,

What does openSUSE focus on

1. Do we focus on Desktop?
2. Do we focus on Servers?
3. We say we focus on balance,but what does that actually mean?

I ask this because

1. We are not as polished as a Desktop

2. Our life cycle is not suited for Servers / Sysadmins.

3. Nor are we exactly rolling releases, might be tumbleweed but there
are 100s of old packages too

I think we should be able to change that with 11.4 release atleast that
helps a lot. So if we do not decide it soon, we will certainly go under
an already existing identity crisis which is not good for the community.

We should regardless of anything, yes even the strategy (although more
alligned with it is preferable) must have a few plans to focus on for
11.4 release. Attracting a particular audience should change a lot of
perspective outside the community.

Regards
Manu