Re: [opensuse-marketing] Upgrade Label for Promo DVDs
On Thursday 03 February 2011 01:20:48 Stuart Tanner wrote:
On Wednesday 02 Feb 2011 23:34:00 Alan Clark wrote:
On 2/2/2011 at 02:56 PM, in message

<201102022256.43382.jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>, Jos Poortvliet

<jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:17:58 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I made plans to personally order some stickers
to attach to our Promo DVDs at the upcoming SCALE conference in Los
Angeles. The event is 2 weeks prior to the release of 11.4.

The focus of the sticker was clearly to provide an upgrade path for
receivers of the promo DVD at SCALE.

As I mentioned it to Manu, he offered to join in with me and design
the label, which I gladly accepted his offer because I like seeing
people jump in to help. We discussed it openly in the IRC channel
and then other people saw and joined in.

Unfortunately, for me, the discussion quickly changed to a very
different focus and I'm having a bit of a difficult time justifying
paying for the sticker in its present design, which is co-designed by
Manu and Carlos.

I really like the design. Very clean. Good job guys!

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a very beautiful design, but it has
a serious redundancy issue. In the sticker, I had wanted to point
to http://en.opensuse.org//SDB:System_upgrade. Sure its an ugly URL
but at least it got the users to the right place. Howeever, the
discussion shifted to changing the URL to www.opensuse.org. My
problem with this is that it is redundant because that URL is already
on the DVD cover itself, plus it is on many other materials we will
give out. And the focus changed also from experienced users to n00b
users, which is not our primary audience.

So, I would really like to rediscuss this label before I send it to
the printers ASAP. I am honestly not comfortable paying for stickers
that say what is already said elsewhere. Any thoughts, folks?

Here's the sticker design by Carlos and Manu:
http://en.opensuse.org/File:Card17CR.png

I like the sticker but wonder where this was discussed, IRC I guess?
Ok, my opinion for this would be simply - if this was meant to lead
people to a site
where they can upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4 (and I understand the need for
that

as SCALE is shortly before the 11.4 release so this is actually a
brilliant idea) then the right link should be on there... Without it
and having ppl go

to opensuse.org to upgrade, well, they'll probably download a new DVD
which is
really a huge waste of our 11.3 one ;-)

I agree that the URL pointing to upgrade is long and ugly, but it is
readable and easily keyed into a browser. +1 due to the functional
purpose of the upgrade URL.

Thanks,
Bryen

+1 from me also :) anything that saves dvd's has to be a good thing, but
at the same time distro upgrades can sometimes be unhappy so fresh install
can be required..

And the URL also promotes the fact we HAVE this upgrade path: a lot of people
still think you HAVE to reinstall openSUSE every 8 months, we need to work on
changing that perception. This would help!