Re: [opensuse-marketing] Your SEO Aims for Wiki and other documentation.
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 00:47:07 -0600
On Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:43:12 pm Helen wrote:
So does this mean we -cannot- just add the meta data to the page?
Normally you just add title, meta keywords and description to the
header in a couple of simple lines of code.

- we need to use a special extension to accomplish that?

We have a lot of extensions already installed, so there is nothing special in
yet another one. You can see all that is installed here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Special:Version

(At some point I guess I'll have to learn Wiki, but right now I'm
learning a lot of things ... so.... my apologies for my ignorance.)

There is always someone that knows some stuff better then the other, so for
you as a writer it is very little necessary to know in order to use the wiki.
For the advanced options you can ask anytime when you want to achieve
something and there will be someone willing to help.

Then of course we have to consider whether we wish to embrace FaceBook
and employ open graph protocol.

That particular extension is not only for Facebook, it can be used for any
social web site, according to statement on a web page. I didn't go in details,
but my guess is that it offers some tags that mark sections of web page the
way Facebook expects to see them.

It's also worth bearing in mind that meta data is itself only a factor
- the most critical thing is a good quality content-bearing page,
incorporating key phrases in natural English. Good incoming links
matter too.

(See that is what you know better.)

I can agree that good quality content is important, and creating writers
group can improve that a lot.

One big advantage of international communities, like openSUSE, is a lot of
non-native English speakers. It allows cooperation, but at the same time it is
a problem when writing articles. Written article is a static information with
very slow reader's feedback cycle, and articles must be correct and easy to
read.

cheers

Helen

--