[opensuse-marketing] Wrong marketing OBS
  • From: "S.Kemter" <buergermeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:47:33 +0100
Hello,

I doing very often researches for not so well known free software. Such things
like

Hotot http://hotot.org/ a really cool Twitter client

or

Turpial http://code.google.com/p/turpial/ another Twitter client

or

sK1 http://sk1project.org a free vector graphics editor, very cool for
prepress process

and very often I see the same there, just take a look to the download pages.
That are only two examples, there are lot more small but cool software
projects out there.

So now the question is, do we the right strategy for marketing? Its enough to
make talks about or writing endless long release messages?

For me it looks its the wrong strategy because we get not really the result we
want.
What we want is a lot of small software projects using the OBS for packaging
there stuff right?

As I said I test very often small not so known software, I find a lot of such
projects on google code or on canonicals launchpad. Mostly I can find binaries
only for ubuntu.

2 possible reasons why the situation so is.

1. they never heard from OBS
2. they have no knowledge about packaging RPM

So what to do now? Simple let us make as team for the next release of OBS an
direct marketing.
I am alone cant do that, because on the end you have to communicate over a
little time with the picked projects. So I can do only 4 or 5, bu thats not
enough to make a feelable result.

So let us make as team a list with interesting projects, with the situation
like hotot or sK1. And then make short before the next release an direct
marketing.
Even we have no success with bring them to use OBS so we know after that why
they dont do that.

br gnokii