Re: [opensuse-marketing] feedback on news
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 02:02:24 +0200
On Friday 29 October 2010 01:14:47 Nelson Marques wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 21:43 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Please note that what I am trying to say is not that you guys made a
wrong
choice. It simply depends on what you think the Weekly news is for,
what the
goal is. And as you guys are making it, that is very much your
decision. If
you want to inform the community about what is going on, then
something like
Nelson's blog might belong in there. If you want to be a marketing
tool, then
it doesn't. As I don't think that choice has been made you have done
nothing
wrong ;-)

Jos,

Please read that paragraph, the times necessary to understand if there's
a flaw there. Be careful at some point you imply that if they don't
follow a certain direction, they are not doing marketing work. Careful
with such statements.

In a way you imply that if they take seriously peoples criticism and
portrait some more 'sensible' stuff, they might not be marketing. That's
not I see it. It might not be good to our audience.

My post wasn't meant about bashing down, was meant about highlighting
the complicated path that {Libre,Open}Office have ahead. As a community
and knowing how much is in stake (a lot, that's why many people saw it
as negative, because they are ignoring those points, and that's bad for
them), we support Libre Office as a community.

I think that people are so obcessed with 'legalese' and code, that
sometimes they forget that in the case of products like openoffice and
LibreOffice their success is not tied only to us, within a linux distro,
than also with the everyday consumer. They for sudre will not see the
things with the fundamentalism that we do.

People also fail to neglect, that one of the greatest strengths of the
free office suits, for example openoffice.org is the vast number of
contributions in non-code areas, for example thesaurus and dictionaries.
I apologize, you will end up by splitting also that part of the
community... and I wonder how many of you, coders, have actually
contributed for a dictionary contents or thesaurus... or that is not
important? That's one of your greatests strengths, you and also will be
splitting those contributions. Upstream doesn't really work a lot for
this kinda stuff. You are neglecting a lot. Sorry, I tried to open your
eyes.

Satoru, Sasha: Thanks for caring. I share the same view, that
contributors will does matter. Congratulations for an awesome job. I
will remove my feeds, because I'm not willing to fight useless fights.
Thanks for seeing something 'special' on my article and maybe for
understanding it's contents, which clearly many people failed to. You
have my gratitude and my respect. My english is bad, but there is
anything I can assist you with, I can spare 2 hours a week for it.

You assume I did not understand your point - but I do, really. Forking is, for
the reasons you mention, a hugely risky business and many forks fail. However,
sometimes there is no choice. A good historical example is Xfree86 -> X.org.
The way Xfree86 was working was simply holding back the whole linux ecosystem.
It still ain't perfect but much better than it was...

I am very sure LibreOffice falls in the same categorie - the fork was long
overdue because of the HUGE mismanagement on the OpenOffice side. Like with
Xfree86, I expect most of the community to move over relatively smoothly and
quickly and in a few years everyone will use LibreOffice.

Forking is a neccesairy evil - which you rightly pointed out. As I said, in
that regard your blog was perfectly valid. But on face value it seemed to put
down the LibreOffice effort - if someone would not read the blog fully or not
understand it, that would be the feeling they would get away with. From a
'internal discussion' point of view not a problem; from a marketing
perspective quite horrible ;-)

Guys, please, lets end this :)
It's a cultural thing.

Nelson