Re: [opensuse-marketing] feedback on news
  • From: Graham Lauder <yorick_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:46:45 +1300
On Thursday 28 Oct 2010 14:02:54 Nelson Marques wrote:
Jos,

I've shared that because that's my own concerns. In a way what I mean
is, Libre Office is going to have a very tough job ahead. oo.o has a
strong brand and has made some quite amazing work. While for people more
close to free software, this issue has a very own meaning, for all the
audience outside the free software, and open office was present, for
example, when I bought my ticket to the openSUSE Conference, the agent
was actually running open office 1.1!. I'm pretty that old lady wasn't
aware of our cultural movement.
My concerns on marketing are mainly around those people, because people
connected to free software, aren't exactly lacking the information the
others are.

I hold nothing against either sun or libre office. I did used Libre
Office for my presentation. For me it's quite transparent. But for
example from school I get loads of microsoft documents, even my own
teachers push them to me... I require good compatibility because I'm not
preaching the word to my teachers...
Those are problems to everyone outside. I didn't meant to be attack,
but for me as a marketeer (or future one), those kind of issues are
things that are interesting... of course I do like to follow them,
there's always something to learn.

For where it's published, I do not know. It's probably as hard for you
to understand some of my perspectives as it's hard for me to understand
those that are more friendly to you, because in way, we have different
prisms to look for.

nelson.

Firstly I saw no real criticism, I thought Nelson's blog summed up the
situation from Marketing perspective quite well, everything he pointed out we
are quite aware of.

However let's be clear on a couple of things, OpenSUSE has never used SUN's
OOo, it uses the Novell sponsored Go-oo.org version. LibreOffice is the
Oracle source with Go-ooo code that was not upstreamed to the vanilla version
because of the SCA. Mike Meeks of go-ooo fame is one of the founders which is
probably as much the reason for the shift in SLE and openSUSE as anything
else.

The creation of libreoffice is purely about the foundation, to put the code
under an independent entity so that no single Corporate has control. This has
been a goal of the project since day one back in 2000. There is hope that
Oracle will join and gift the trademarks to the foundation (right now this
looks unlikely, but is still a possibility)

The Foundation's creation at this time was precipitated by fear in the
community with regard to Oracle's intentions especially after the killing of
OpenSolaris and that was the major driver for the broader community, the
corporate partners were probably more attracted to the dropping of the
Copyright assignment.

Right now infrastructure is the important thing, that is being setup as we
speak. Translations are being done and the first release will probably
coincide with the release of OOo 3.3. The marketing project has a full head
of steam and we are working on the branding right now. We don't consider this
a fork any more than go-ooo is considered a fork, there will still be code
sharing, so this is just an alternative version of OOo

we live in interesting times

cheers
GL