Re: [opensuse-marketing] SpiderOak?
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:13:05 +0200
Moin,
On Wednesday 08 September 2010 02:29:43 Thoar Varenkamp wrote:
On Tuesday 07 September 2010 21:10:49 Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 08:08:29PM +0100, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 09:52 -0700, James Mason wrote:
Considering how much we have contributed to the marketing of
SpiderOak, could someone talk to them about evening the score?

"SpiderOak provides an easy, secure and consolidated free online
backup, sync, sharing, access & storage solution for Windows, Mac OS
X, and Linux (Ubuntu, Debian & Fedora)"
- https://spideroak.com/

The only page on the SpiderOak website, where openSUSE is mentioned is in
the FAQ section. [1] (Open SuSE?)

Small thing maybe, but since openSUSE is the only distro actively
promoting the use of SpiderOak (in contrast to Ubuntu's
self-promotion), we could be at least mentioned as a supported Linux
distro...

- James M, 'bear454'

I'm glad I'm not the only to have noticed the discrepancy :)

I mentioned this to Henne just before 11.3 was released, and also
mentioned that it would be a nice gesture by the SpiderOak guys & gals
if they could redo their screenshots from Ubuntu to openSUSE. As far
as I'm aware Henne has made the request to them.

If not, we should just drop this binary thing again.

Ciao, Marcus

I think it would not be that easy. According to the SpiderOak page in the
openSUSE wiki, it states that openSUSE users get a 15% discount, if you buy
space from them. [2] So, there must be a deal or an agreement or something.
What are the conditions for SpiderOak for promoting openSUSe, as stated in
this agreement?
The agreement is simple. We're allowed to ship spideroak, nothing more or less
(eg. no money in no direction). But I'll ping the spideroak guys to add
openSUSE on the start page.

Best
Michael

[1]