Re: [opensuse-marketing] Goals for openSUSE Greek team
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 16:03:57 +0200
On 09/06/2010 03:24 PM, Kostas Boukouvalas wrote:
On 6 September 2010 12:52, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kostas,

On 09/05/2010 08:26 AM, Kostas Boukouvalas wrote:
On 25 August 2010 15:45, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
We started the first ever greek web portal about openSUSE.

http://www.opensuse.org.gr

Great to see someone taking care of the greek part of our community.
It's really appreciated. But why don't you translate our landingpage to
greek instead of setting up your own page? :) You can then point your
domain to www.opensuse.org/gr <http://www.opensuse.org/gr>. We
already have an infrastructure in
place for translating most of our infrastructure. I'm more than happy to
help you with getting this going.

This goes for me, because starting the translations many years ago with
others, we were surprised when we first saw the translated page of
el.opensuse.org <http://el.opensuse.org>. We found the translator then,
but as many of that era greek opensuse members, is not currently active.

Translating a wiki is a group effort. If you want to take charge of
that you just have to say so. Especially if the person who started it is
gone :)

We currently have me and only one more person with fluent English in
our resurrected greek team.

That's okay, you have to start somewhere right? Please tell me your
opensuse login names so i can give you access right for el.opensuse.org.
Please get in contact with the wiki list and read through
http://languages.opensuse.org/Help:Translation

The reason i ask is that we have seen too many localized pages gone
stale over the time with no possibility for us to put new people on the
task. So please stay "inside" the project instead of doing your own
infrastructure :)

Yes but we would like to have the autonomy of opensuse.org.gr

Autonomy from what? From the openSUSE project?

We are an open source project where many people jointly work on a lot of
things. On the distribution, the wiki or on spreading the word on
conferences. We also work together on our web-pages. So if you want to
contribute to the openSUSE projects web presence it makes little sense
to keep your contributions outside the project on your own page. You
should instead help to make the official pages better for the reasons i
stated above.

So, now that the domain opensuse.org.gr exists, what do you suggest to
do? To redirect it to the official site, the wiki?

You should:

1. Translate www.opensuse.org to greek

The source of the webpage is in SVN. You can check it out here:

svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/opensuse/trunk/infrastructure/www.o.o/

simply copy the english directory (en) to the greek directory (el)

cp -av en el

and then translate the included html files. In the end you add an option
to the file languages.html for greek. If you have done all that you can
send the differences (svn diff) to opensuse-web@xxxxxxxxxxxx
If you need any help with this don't hesitate to contact the opensuse
web developers on the same mailinglist, they will help you!

2. After you have completed 1. you point opensuse.org.gr to
www.opensuse.org/el

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.