Re: [opensuse-marketing] Goals for openSUSE Greek team
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 11:52:21 +0200
Kostas,

On 09/05/2010 08:26 AM, Kostas Boukouvalas wrote:
On 25 August 2010 15:45, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
We started the first ever greek web portal about openSUSE.

http://www.opensuse.org.gr

Great to see someone taking care of the greek part of our community.
It's really appreciated. But why don't you translate our landingpage to
greek instead of setting up your own page? :) You can then point your
domain to www.opensuse.org/gr <http://www.opensuse.org/gr>. We
already have an infrastructure in
place for translating most of our infrastructure. I'm more than happy to
help you with getting this going.

This goes for me, because starting the translations many years ago with
others, we were surprised when we first saw the translated page of
el.opensuse.org <http://el.opensuse.org>. We found the translator then,
but as many of that era greek opensuse members, is not currently active.

Translating a wiki is a group effort. If you wan't to take charge of
that you just have to say so. Especially if the person who started it is
gone :)

So, yes, it would be a Goal also to have the official greek opensuse
page, up-to-date. For this as well as for the greek opensuse
translations we will start our engines by October 1st.

Okay cool. That would be great!

The reason i ask is that we have seen too many localized pages gone
stale over the time with no possibility for us to put new people on the
task. So please stay "inside" the project instead of doing your own
infrastructure :)

Yes but we would like to have the autonomy of opensuse.org.gr

Autonomy from what? From the openSUSE project?

We are an open source project where many people jointly work on a lot of
things. On the distribution, the wiki or on spreading the word on
conferences. We also work together on our web-pages. So if you want to
contribute to the openSUSE projects web presence it makes little sense
to keep your contributions outside the project on your own page. You
should instead help to make the official pages better for the reasons i
stated above.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.