Re: [opensuse-marketing] Regarding http://omgsuse.com
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:41:50 +0200
On Monday 12 July 2010 18:17:34 R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

On Saturday 10 July 2010 18:27:42 R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010, Manu Gupta wrote:
Hi All,
I dont know which is the best place to report it.
The blog http://omgsuse.com/ has got all the spellings of openSUSE
misspelled as openSuSE

Hah, that's me, a bad old habit from the old days of SuSE :) I've
corrected
the misspellings, I hope you guys can forgive me :)

Sure ;)

I guess I should take the opportunity to talk about OMG! SUSE! in general
and ask for advice/opinion/criticisms/cookies/etc

Congrats for launching it! It looks like a good addition

I've been working on the concept with "d0od" the chap behind OMG! UBUNTU!
(http://omgubuntu.co.ul), a very popular Ubuntu users weblog. Being an
avid
openSUSE user, I wanted to start working on an equivalent for the openSUSE
community.

The rough concept is: a user-focused blog for openSUSE. My goal is to
cover
new releases, changes, package updates, etc from an openSUSE user's
perspective (trying to avoid getting technical). Of course, the gratuitous
showing off of openSUSE eye candy is a must as well :)

I noticed you're not on Planet openSUSE (http://planet.opensuse.org), would
it
make sense to aggregate it?

I'm not entirely sure, planets are typically composed of individual
contributors' blogs and to be honest, I'm not "contributing" really. The
audiences of planets in my experience are typically other contributors to the
project, so I'm not sure if OMG! SUSE! will be interesting to
packagers/developers/documenters/etc as they're not my target audience.

A bit of a late response, but I do want to say two things here:
- first of all, the work you do on omgsuse.com IS a great marketing
contribution to openSUSE. Consider yourself part of the team ;-)
- Second, the planet is read by many more than 'just contributors'. Loads of
users are following it, same with journalists.

How does your blog relate to what the weekly team does? I see some overlap
there - which could also be a chance of working together...

I'm following what the weekly team does quite closely, there are bits and
pieces of the weekly news posts that are good starting points for some posts,
but the question falls back on focus and audience. To be honest I'm not going
to be able to have my eyes and ears as close to the project like the weekly
team is, but what I can do is build on some of those bullet points and inform
users about it. The #131 "Security Updates" section is a good example, a
listing of SAs might be useful to you, me, or other contributors, but IMHO its
not as end-user digestable, whereas "HAY! Your Firefox is broked, update it!"
;)

How I've been thinking about this in my head is the weekly team does a good
job
of saying: "Here's what's up in openSUSE".

I view OMG! SUSE! then as: "Here's how the goings on in openSUSE affect you"
(you being the user, not Andreas at Novell ;))

...and I think that's an excellent angle. You'll probably quickly build a big
following, I bet ;-)

As somebody pointed out in the comments on the first post [1], OMG!
UBUNTU!
and Ubuntu in general don't do KDE justice so there's also an opportunity
to cover KDE desktop environments changes (by way of openSUSE) as well as
XFCE and LXDE developments.

Cheers,
-R. Tyler Ballance
Jabber: rtyler@xxxxxxxxxx