[opensuse-marketing] Marketing Team Strategy
  • From: Bryen Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 17:44:13 -0500
Hi Team!

As you know, the openSUSE Board got together in Nuremberg to discuss
the general strategy plans for openSUSE for the long-term future.
While there in Nuremberg for one extra day, some of us who are part of
the Marketing Team got together for additional discussions around
moving Marketing Team forward.

Those present were: Myself, AJ, Jan Weber, Michael Loeffler and Will Stephenson.

Here our our thoughts:

Our first thought is that we have many things to do, but too few human
resources to implement things out effectively for short therm
campaigns. As a result, it becomes harder for contributors to figure
out how and where to contribute where they feel most comfortable.

Our second thought is looking at ways to go beyond just focusing on
marketing campaigns for imeediate releases. We want to find ways to
help communicate what openSUSE is all about and even help to dispel
some of the misconceptions that exist about openSUSE in the world.

And our third thought is to focus on how we can develop the skills of
our existing team membes to be able to more broadly handle marketing
tasks as well as how best to attract new talent to the marketing team.
We recognize that many people have good specialties within Marketing
but we want to empower our team members to be able to broaden their
marketing skills and identify what areas they can personally
strengthen.

And finally, we agree that one major problem that exists now is that
we are all taking on too many tasks. This leads to burn-out and poor
quality of work. So, we wish to limit volunteers to 2-3 tasks as
personal priorities before they can take on additional tasks upon
completion.