Re: [opensuse-marketing] build an art team
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:08:22 +0900
Subject: [opensuse-marketing] build an art team
From: S.Kemter <buergermeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse-artwork@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 01:42:13 GMT+0900 (JST)

Hello,

I found a little problem over artwork for openSUSE, so I'll try to give
some funny examples to illustrate it.
# Alternative
# I've got a bit of a problem over artwork for openSUSE, so I'll try to
give some funny examples to illustrate it.

<off topic>
gnokii, you have forgotten removing comment lines. ;-)
</off topic>

[...snip]

There were several persons on the marketing channel yesterday and we got
the idea, why not pack such "features" in a package like
"artwork-contrib" and if there are too much candidates, give people the
chance to vote which artwork should be in the package?

I think we have enough talented members and a lot of users who might be
interested in contributing in this way and we can build openSUSE
Art-Team.

Although I don't have the talent for art and cannot create attractive
artworks for openSUSE, I expect many talented artists to be interested
in and join the Art-Team. ;-)

However, one thing I'm very concerned about is, legal or trademark issue.

As you may know, we can find several openSUSE-themed wallpapers on the
web. But most of them don't comply with the guidelines.
http://en.opensuse.org/Artwork:Brand
http://en.opensuse.org/Buttons_and_Banners#Use_of_openSUSE_graphics_.28offical_artwork_only.29

Once the Art-Team will successfully make the package of good looking
artworks for openSUSE, will it be considered an *official* package or an
*unofficial* one? I'm unsure of the borderline between official and
unofficial. My understandings are:

* If the package (and artworks in it) is considered *official* ...
- Every artworks have to be compliant with the guidelines. This may get
in the way of free-wheeling creativities of the artists.
- Can use the term "openSUSE" as a part of the package name (and name
of the artworks in it).
- Can be included in official installation DVD/CD.

* If the package (and artworks in it) is considered *unofficial* ...
- Artists can freely modify the official artworks and logos in their
artworks, because those are considered "fair use".
- Cannot use the term "openSUSE" as a part of the package name (and
name of the artworks in it).
- Cannot be included in official installation DVD/CD.

Please point to some factual errors in my understandings, if you find.

Many of you may wonder why I'm concerned about such a thing. Yes, you
are right. I can agree, the more important thing at this moment is,
taking the first step forward. However, this issue should be an
important factor for the Art-Team in the near future and I think it
would be helpful not only for potential Art-Team members but also for
whole marketing team to share the basic concepts.

Bests,

--
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto - openSUSE Member - Japan _/_/
_/_/ Marketing/Weekly News/openFATE Screening Team _/_/