Re: [opensuse-marketing] How not to market free software
  • From: "Brent McConnell" <bmcconnell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:29:12 -0600

Do you mean premium or value? I think we have to pick something focused and
show exceptional value. That's one reason why I suggested netbooks. I may be
wrong here but the reasons people buy netbooks is to stay connected on the go
with a small set of applications. I don't think they're looking for a total
desktop solution (yet). If you look at most disruptive brands, brands that
dislodged a formidable competitor, they tend to start with low end products and
work there way up by consistently delivering more value at the low end.

I agree that Average Joe doesn't care about Free+Freedom when it comes to the
desktop and the reason is that he has very little choice when he buys his
computer. It's like payroll withholding tax in the US. I'd much rather pay my
taxes once a year but I can't. The government makes me do it every paycheck so
that I forget how much I'm paying in total. Same for a computer. If everyone
had a choice when they went into a store between laptop + MSFT = $599 or laptop
+ Linux = $499, you'd see alot more Linux :).

Brent

Brent McConnell
OSS Community Manager: Kablink, iFolder
Email: bmcconnell@xxxxxxxxxx