Re: [opensuse-marketing] How not to market free software
  • From: Dave Lyon <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:11:55 -0500
Seems to me that their campaign will also suffer from the page-fold
which tells them to try the GNU Operating System. Could someone new to
the OSS world even connect the two on their own?

But there I go being negative...

Despite the Apple ads that poke fun at Windows, Apple capitalizes on
being different. They don't try to sell themselves on how a Windows user
can just jump in- on the contrary. They say they're different... and
better. So there's a little fear for switchers because it's such a break
from what they know. They do it because the promised reward is so great.
And the tone is not critical it's encouraging. It's not "Windows has so
many security holes it's pathetic. Your identity will be stolen and your
children kidnapped." It's "We're secure and virus free. Imagine your
life without having to scan for viruses!" They don't point out the rain
falling on you, they point to the sunny vally on the other side of the
hill. And they emphasize that although it's a journey it's one worth taking.

Regards,
Dave Lyon