Re: [opensuse-marketing] GNU/Linux
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:36:47 -0400
2009/6/17 Александр Мелентьев <alex239@xxxxxxxxx>:
2009/6/17 Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>:
The "Linux" vs. "GNU/Linux" debate has been going on as long as I've
been using Linux (that's 13 years) and probably even longer than that.

I'd like to suggest that this isn't a terribly productive discussion
or one that's likely to 1) change anyone's mind, 2) change anything,
and 3) do anything to further adoption of GNU, Linux, open source,
free software, and/or openSUSE.

Some people feel very strongly for using "GNU/Linux," and others are
just as passionate against it. It's pretty much something we need to
agree to disagree on, or it's going to be divisive and not productive
in terms of being effective ambassadors or promoters of openSUSE. I'm
sure that's not the goal here.

Best,

Zonker
I absolutely perfectly agree with you on that. Unproductivity of this
discussion is purely obvious.

Not to pour gas on the fire, but when I hear GNU/Linux, it always
brings up Debian to my mind and Stallman pushing for people to say
that way. I think the public knows linux as linux. Just remember to
the avg joe. KISS.