Re: [opensuse-marketing] The way of ambassador
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:29:14 +0200
Tirsdag den 2. juni 2009 19:43:57 skrev TooMany Secrets:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Martin Schlander
* Most people (wrongfully) consider openSUSE a very desktop centric
distro. * People don't know that the dvd has a server/text mode
installation option. * They don't know about yast ncurses, apparmor, xen
and other nice server features
* They don't realize that openSUSE is the base of SLES

I'm the systems dpt. chief, and we have more than 50 servers. All,
with the exception of four FreeBSD machines, are opensuse servers. I'm
using opensuse like a server base since 2004 without any problem
(included oracle databases). At the office, the 90% of desktops are
opensuse.
Yes, opensuse is not only good for the desktop, but also for the servers.

You're preaching to the choir here ;-)

But thanks for supporting my claim that businesses also use Linux distros
without long lifetime and commercial support - and on a pretty big scale too.

But don't you agree that when it comes to "mindshare" in the server space,
openSUSE is behind.

My impression is that if you ask a random Linux user (who isn't a savvy
openSUSE user) to mention some good server distros, he's very likely to
mention 5-8 distros above openSUSE - *if* he associates openSUSE with servers
at all.

In some of the forums I visit people often ask for suggestions for good server
distros, and it's very rare that anyone (other than me) suggests openSUSE.