Re: [opensuse-marketing] [OWN] On the use of Tinyurl in Weekly News
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:01:38 -0500
On Thursday 21 May 2009 09:20:38 pm Satoru Matsumoto wrote:
Hi OWN Team - and also Marketing Team - guys,

I've had something on my mind lately. I'm wondering if I should consult
with Jan-Simon and Sascha directly, and -marketing list is the right
place to post this topic or not, but I considered we have to share this
topic.

As you can see, 2 shortened URLs are used in Weekly News ATM.

- Statistics - Bugzilla - "Detailed Bugzilla Report"
-> http://tinyurl.com/392jnb

IMHO, we shouldn't use tinyurl in Wiki pages.

There is not tiniest reason to use them :-)
[http://extremely-3-rows-long-URL Description]
will give just Description on the screen.

So tinyurl is just habit from other places where is not possible to use links,
with unnecessary overhead to go to tiny-website, create URL and paste in the
wiki page, when it was possible to paste original directly and then just give
description.

BTW, existing tinies should be replaced with originals.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/