[opensuse-marketing] [OWN] On the use of Tinyurl in Weekly News
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:20:38 +0900
Hi OWN Team - and also Marketing Team - guys,

I've had something on my mind lately. I'm wondering if I should consult
with Jan-Simon and Sascha directly, and -marketing list is the right
place to post this topic or not, but I considered we have to share this
topic.

As you can see, 2 shortened URLs are used in Weekly News ATM.

- Statistics - Bugzilla - "Detailed Bugzilla Report"
-> http://tinyurl.com/392jnb

- Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved - "RSS feed"
-> http://tinyurl.com/7o9x6q

Tinyurls are useful if the length of the article is limited. But, this
is not the case.

You know, Wiki pages are easily edited by everyone. If a malicious
person replace the URLs with another 'malicious' URLs, how can we find
that ?

Of cource we can check the histry of the page and confirm who has edited
the page, but I think most people don't care about it. [*1]

IMHO, we shouldn't use tinyurl in Wiki pages. I know it's impossible to
restrict use of tinyurl community-wide, but, at least, we shouldn't use
them in Weekly News - or I'd rather say, in 'official' pages if they can
be easily edited by everyone.

[*1] I'd like to recommend you to install 'bit.ly Preview' add-on, if
you use Firefox.

Best,

--
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto - openSUSE Member - Japan _/_/
_/_/ Marketing/Weekly News/openFATE Screening Team _/_/