[opensuse-marketing] [OWN] Issue #61 ready for translation
  • From: "Jan-Simon Möller" <dl9pf@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:46:00 +0100
Hi @all!

Issue 61 of the openSUSE Weekly News is ready for translation [0].
You can see/update the status of your language at the "whats ready page" [1].

I've attached the en.txt for the translation-tool as file.

 [0]: http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/61
 [1]: http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/Translations/Ready

* new/updated apps is still WIP
* news.o.o number is updated

Have Phun!

Best regards,
Jan-Simon

{{Info|This openSUSE Weekly issue is currently being drafted and has not been
published yet.}}
{{Info|NOT READY - See the
[[:en:OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/Translations/Ready|ready-page]]}}

Welcome to issue # 61 of [[:en:OpenSUSE_Weekly_News|openSUSE Weekly News]]

In this Week:
* Joe Brockmeier: Addressing the layoffs
* Andrew Wafaa: Open Support
* Masim Sugianto: Apache Web Server & Virtual Host on openSUSE : Part 1
* pablo2525: opensuse 11.1 - kupdateapplet
* {lizards,news,zonker}.opensuse.org updated to Wordpress 2.7.1

==Announcements==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Announcements.png|48px]]|
* [http://zonker.opensuse.org/2009/02/25/addressing-the-layoffs/ '''Joe
Brockmeier: Addressing the layoffs'''] <br> ''"I want to address the recent
layoffs that have taken place at Novell. As is very obvious by now, there have
been layoffs at Novell, and some of them did hit contributors to the openSUSE
community employed by Novell. It’s been painful and difficult for everyone
involved. The fact that this is going on at many other companies doesn’t make
it any easier or better."''
*
[http://lizards.opensuse.org/2009/02/26/lizardsnewszonkeropensuseorg-updated-to-wordpress-271/
'''{lizards,news,zonker}.opensuse.org updated to Wordpress 2.7.1'''] <br>
''"Our Wordpress instances have been updated to the latest release. For
readers of {news,zonker,lizards}.o.o nothing should be different. People
blogging will now see a new and improved interface which should “take fewer
clicks and be faster”. Full details are available at the Wordpress blog. I’d
like to say a big “THANK YOU” to Stephan Binner for his continued maintenance
of these services and for the flawless update to the new version. He drove
this with some help from the Novell IS&T folks whom I’d like to thank as
well!"''
}}

==In the Community ==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-In-the-Community.png|48px]]|
* [http://www.wafaa.eu/index.php?/archives/189-Open-Support.html '''Andrew
Wafaa: Open Support'''] <br> ''"After our openly elected Board Members sent
their open letter to us the community there seems to have been a bit of a media
frenzy. I use the term frenzy very loosely here as there was no circus,
certainly nothing like that after some of the things that have happened in the
past, but a definite air of FUD on behalf of some supposed journalists."''
* [http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2009/02/24/Planet-GNOME-Editors-Guidelines
'''Vincent Untz: Planet GNOME Editors & Guidelines'''] <br> ''"For quite some
time already, some people have expressed their various feelings about the
current process around the Planet: unclear, slow, not transparent, etc. Many
adjectives have been used. But if you think about it, maintaining Planet GNOME
is not an easy task: you have to make sure it's still an enjoyable read, and
quality is really important for that. In the past, I have talked with various
people who wanted their blog to be aggregated on Planet GNOME -- it was not my
job, so I couldn't really decide, but I was still looking at the blogs to know
if it was a clear decision."''
* [http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/zdnet/community/~3/zemU8AcrKSU/ '''Joe
Brockmeier: What makes good governance?'''] <br> ''"What do Blender, Inkscape,
Drizzle, and Subversion have in common? Good governance, at least according to
Dave Neary. Neary, a former board member on the GNOME Foundation and
participant in several other communities, boils best practices down to a few
key ideas:"''
* [http://video.linuxfoundation.org/ '''Linuxfoundation: You are Linux'''] <br>
''"In Germany we had Marketingcampagnes with the Slogan: 'You are Germany' In
this Line the Linuxfoundation started an Campagne with the Slogan you are
Linux. You find the Short Films on the Page where the Link goes to. Other
Videos are themed with: 'Programming C, Programming Kernel and
LINUX-Mobilephones'"''
}}

==Status Updates==

===Distribution===
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:Suse_Box.png|48px]]|
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2009-02/msg00231.html '''Will
Stephenson: KDE:KDE4:Factory:* publish disabled'''] <br> ''"While we prepare
the KDE 4.2.1 packages, we have disabled publishing the built packages on the
KDE 4.2 repo and its dependencies: KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop,
KDE:KDE4:Factory:Extra-Apps, and the KDE:KDE4:Community repos that build vs
F:D."''
}}

===Build Service===
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Build-Service.png|48px]]|
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2009-02/msg00150.html '''
Build Team Meeting'''] <br> ''"Minutes from the Build Team Meeting"''
}}

==Tips and Tricks==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Tips-and-Tricks.png|48px]]|
* [http://kkaempf.blogspot.com/2009/02/driving-d-bus-with-ruby.html '''Klaus
Kämpf: Driving the D-Bus with Ruby'''] <br> ''"Having looked at the D-Bus from
the client perspective before, its now time to get behind the wheel. In order
to drive the D-Bus, you need to decide on a couple of things:"''
*
[http://vavai.net/2009/02/23/apache-web-server-virtual-host-on-opensuse-part-1/
'''Masim Sugianto: Apache Web Server & Virtual Host on openSUSE : Part 1''']
those are so many articles describes an implementation how to & Apache Web
Server tutorial on openSUSE. Even with so many tutorial regarding Apache and
virtual host on openSUSE, I’m going to mad for about 2 days finding why Apache
virtual host doesn’t work as it should be. ..."''
*
[http://vavai.net/2009/02/27/pdftoword-the-most-accurate-pdf-to-word-converter/
'''Masim Sugianto: PDFtoWord : The Most Accurate PDF-to-Word Converter'''] <br>
''"I’m waiting this for a long time. I have some good tutorial (according to
myself, huh :-D ) written in 2004-2008. The tutorial written with Open Office
1.3 and 1.4 and converted into PDF for better distribution. I provide it for
free (which somehow inspired me to building Indonesian openSUSE community). I
want to make an update to the tutorial regarding some software update but I
don’t want too many changes and complicated task. I need an easy way to
re-convert PDF document into Doc or RTF and then edit it with my Word
Processor."''
}}

==New/Updated Applications @ OpenSUSE==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-New-Updated-Applications.png|48px]]|
* [Link '''Headline'''] <br> ''"Details"''
* [Link '''Headline'''] <br> ''"Details"''
* [Link '''Headline'''] <br> ''"Details"''
}}

==Planet SUSE==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Planet-SUSE.png|48px]]|
* [http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Feb-22.html '''Miguel de Icaza:
CoyoteLinux uses Mono for syadmin tools'''] <br> ''"Interesting find: Coyote
Linux -a firewall in a box- configuration of Linux is using Mono and ASP.NET
for its admin tools."''
*
[http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2009/02/27/Getting-the-GNOME-2.26-release-notes-ready
'''Vincent Untz: Getting the GNOME 2.26 release notes ready'''] <br> ''"While
people are still working on fixing bugs, updating translations, writing
documentation or testing GNOME 2.25, there's one task which is in need of some
love: the release notes. I don't know exactly why, but we often forget about
them until, well, a couple of weeks before the .0 release. Davyd has agreed to
lead the effort for this cycle, which is a good news! And the other good news
is that it's not really hard to help with this effort! Here's what you can
do:"''
* [http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/zdnet/community/~3/IdAq7fd0_3M/ '''Joe
Brockmeier: Creative Commons 0: Now with zero restrictions'''] <br> ''"There’s
free and then there’s Free. The Creative Commons folks have just unleashed a
new license that’s about as free as it gets: Creative Commons 0 1.0."''
* [http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/zdnet/community/~3/UeJUgYyQhqQ/ '''Joe
Brockmeier: The little Linux desktop that could: Xfce 4.6 released'''] <br>
''"GNOME and KDE get all the attention these days, but Linux users looking for
a lightweight desktop environment would do well to consider Xfce. The project
has come a long way since the days it was a clone of the hideous Common Desktop
Environment (CDE), and is still going strong, and came out with the 4.6 release
today with a ton of improvements. Xfce is a prime example of why duplication is
sometimes a good thing in the FOSS arena."''
}}

==openSUSE Forums==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-openSUSE-Forums.png|48px]]|
*
[http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/wireless/387719-disabling-keyring-prompts-wlan.html#post1948789
'''Xafke: disabling keyring prompts for wlan'''] <br> ''"Forums member Xafke
explains how to disable the GNOME keyring password prompts when connecting to a
wireless network with network manager. This behaviour occurs when using GNOME
with enabled gdm auto-login feature in openSUSE 11.1."''
*
[http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/408537-opensuse-11-1-kupdateapplet.html#post1948764
'''pablo2525: opensuse 11.1 - kupdateapplet'''] <br> ''"In openSUSE 11.1 the
developers switched the backend of kupdateapplet from Zypp to PackageKit. Thus
the kupdateapplet does no longer notify the user about 3rd party updates. If
you feel this as a drawback, be sure to have a look on this recommendation
given by forums member pablo2525."''
}}

==On the Web==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-On-the-Web.png|48px]]| 2= <br>
* [http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090223 '''DistroWatch Weekly,
Issue 291'''] <br> ''"Tutorial: Minimal openSUSE 11.1 install"''
*
[http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3806886/Novells+Open+Source+Rex+Talks+Linux.htm
'''Internetnews.com: Novell's Open Source Rex Talks Linux'''] <br> ''"t's not
all about the code in the Linux ecosystem. Any Linux project needs leadership.
Markus Rex is one such leader. For most of the last year, Rex was the CTO of
the Linux Foundation, on loan from his employer Novell. Now, he's back with
Novell, where he is responsible for Novell's open source and open platform
technologies, including SUSE Linux Enterprise. Rex has been working at SUSE
Linux since 1999."''
}}

==Past Events & Meetings==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Past-Events-Meetings.png|48px]]|
* [http://news.opensuse.org/2008/08/19/scale-7x/ '''February 20, 2009: SCALE
7x''']
* [http://news.opensuse.org/2009/02/25/opensuse-project-meeting-37/ '''February
25, 2009: openSUSE Project Meeting''']
}}

==Upcoming Events & Meetings==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Upcoming-Events-Meetings.png|48px]]|
* [http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/10/cebit-2009/ '''March 3, 2009 to March 8,
2009: CeBIT 2009''']
* [http://news.opensuse.org/2009/02/25/kde-team-meeting-9/ '''March 4, 2009:
KDE Team Meeting''']
}}

==Security Updates==
{{Sablon:PointHere|[[Image:OWN-oxygen-Security-Updates.png|48px]]|
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as
they're released, refer to the
[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/ openSUSE Security
Announce] mailing list.<br><br>
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2009-02/msg00003.html
'''SUSE Security Announcement: Linux kernel (SUSE-SA:2009:010)'''] <br>
* Package: kernel<br>
* Announcement ID: SUSE-SA:2009:010<br>