[opensuse-marketing] Issue #50 ready for translation
  • From: "Jan-Simon Möller" <dl9pf@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:40:48 +0100
Hi @all!

Issue 50 of the openSUSE Weekly News is ready for translation [0].
You can see/update the status of your language at the "whats ready page" [1].

I've attached the en.txt for the translation-tool as file.

 [0]: http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/50
 [1]: http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/Translations/Ready

Have Phun!

Best regards,
Jan-Simon
[[Category:Weekly_News]]
{{Info|This openSUSE Weekly issue is currently being drafted and has not been
published yet.}}
{{Info|READY FOR TRANSLATION ! NO MORE CHANGES, PLEASE ! - See the
[http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/Translations/Ready ready-page]}}

Welcome to issue # 50 of openSUSE Weekly News!

In this week:
* Pre-order openSUSE 11.1
* Wanted: Tester from SUSE Studio
* Password Protect for GRUB
* KDE4-Repository changes
* SELinux in openSUSE 11.1

----

== Announcements ==
----
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/12/09/pre-order-opensuse-111/ Pre-order
openSUSE 11.1 box]====
* ''"openSUSE 11.1 is gold, and the boxed edition available for pre-order! The
release date is still the 18th of December, just in time to have some fun over
the holidays … So what do you get for your money?..."''

====[http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap HOT! Upcoming o p e n S U S E 1 1 . 1]====
* "The release is on Thursday! Get it!"

====[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2008-12/msg00005.html Wanted:
Participants for usability tests of SUSE Studio]====
*''"Hi all,We still need participants for our usability tests of SUSE
Studio.The tests will take place here in Nuremberg are one-time tests and will
take about one hour each.You should have knowledge in building Linux packages,
but should preferably be unexperienced with SUSE Studio."''

====[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2008-12/msg00384.html New YaST
Documentation Available!]====
* ''"I've just uploaded the newest (final) YaST-Development documentation for
openSUSE 11.1 to the official documentation repository."''

== In the Community ==
----
====openSUSE 11.1 Launch Party Locations====
* There will be Launch Parties allover the globe. Check your
[http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_11.1_Launch_Party_Locations location] !

=====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/12/10/release-party-in-nuremberg/ Nuremberg
openSUSE 11.1 release party]=====
* ''"Just a reminder, we will have a party on the release day in Nuremberg. If
you are nearby, don’t miss it! We plan to have some demo systems, burn service
and of course some food and drinks. It’s on December, 18th, 18:00-21:00 CET."''

=====[http://www.decriptor.com/?p=157 Provo openSUSE 11.1 release party]=====
* ''"Just a quick post letting everyone know that there is a release party here
in Provo, Utah. The link with details is here."''

=====[local release party]=====
* ''""''
{{Info|Hi dear translators! - Here you can add e.g. a local release party. If
there is none, either announce a party ;) or just delete this section. Already
annouced parties can be viewed
[http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_11.1_Launch_Party_Locations here]}}

==Status Updates==
----
====Distribution====
* [http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/12/05/gmc-livecds-seek-testers/ GMC LiveCDs
Seek Testers]
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2008-12/msg00056.html Czech
Team Meeting minutes]
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel/2008-12/msg00005.html Nürnberg YaST2
team meeting]
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel/2008-12/msg00007.html Prague YaST2 team
meeting]

====Build Service====
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2008-12/msg00057.html Czech
Contrib repository notes]
* [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2008-12/msg00106.html Build
Team Meeting minutes]

====Wiki / Communication / Events====
* [http://zonker.opensuse.org/2008/12/05/wanted-sneak-peeks/ Wanted: Sneak
peeks!]

==Tips and Tricks==
----
====[http://www.penguinway.net/?p=228 Penguinway: Password Protect Your GRUB
Bootloader]====
* ''"I thought I might write a little post about adding a little security to
your Ubuntu box. You can use a program within GRUB called md5crypt for this
task. You choose a password and md5crypt will generate an encrypted string hash
for you. Plug this into your GRUB menu entries and you will be prompted for a
password when you try to boot one of those entries."''
** advanced - not for beginners ...

====[http://jordimassaguerpla.blogspot.com/2008/12/configuring-vodafone-spain-3g-and.html
Jordi Massaguer: Configuring Vodafone Spain 3G and openSUSE 11.0]====
* ''"After looking at google and some docs like
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:HUAWEI_E220_Support I did not succeed to configure
my Vodafone 3G modem (HUAWEI) with opensuse 11.0 until I looked at the
configuration on a windows machine. "''

====[http://kdedevelopers.org/node/3786 Stephan Binner: openSUSE Lizards -
Creating Custom Feeds]====
* ''"This is likely interesting for more openSUSE Members blogging on
lizards.opensuse.org: WordPress allows to create custom feeds."''

==New/Updated Applications @ openSUSE==
----

* ''"[http://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&q=scratch Scratch]-the easy
programming language. Some german teacher point me to
“[http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/12/07/testing-scratch-the-easy-programming-language/
Scratch]” a few weeks ago. This week, I tried to create a package for
openSUSE. The good news: Ubuntu people already tried to package scratch for
debian - but they use a perl script, which installs scratch for each user -
again, and again, and again…. ..."''

* ''"[http://software.opensuse.org/search/?q=kde4-amarok Amarok 2.0] is the
first release of the KDE4 port of the popular powerful music player for
[http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/BenKevansBlog/~3/481314503/ KDE]."''

* ''"[http://software.opensuse.org/search/?q=koffice2 KOffice 1.9.83] is the
fourth Beta of the upcoming KOffice 2.0, the integrated office suite for
KDE4."''

* ''"[http://software.opensuse.org/search/?q=GSmartControl GSmartControl] is a
graphical user interface for smartctl (from Smartmontools, which is a tool for
querying and controlling SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting
Technology) data on modern hard disk drives. It allows you to inspect the
drive's SMART data to determine its health, as well as run various tests on it.
[http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=2413 Read on...]"''

==Planet SUSE==
----
Covering just a few posts from [http://planetsuse.org Planet SUSE], an
aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:

====[http://jamesthevicar.com/index.cgi/1228429793mintmenu_on_opensuse.jtv
James Ogley: Mintmenu on openSUSE]====
* ''"Recently, Magnus asked for views on some Main Menu improvements. Among the
I've spent some time this week beating this into an openSUSE shape and have
produced a rather large (265 lines) patch. ..."''

====[http://kdedevelopers.org/node/3794 Stephan Binner: openSUSE Build Service
KDE:KDE4:* Repository Changes]====
* ''"openSUSE 11.1 will reach Goldmaster status within the next days which also
means that things move around in the KDE:KDE4 Build Service repositories"''

====[http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/SuseLinuxRants/~3/479548376/ Scott Morris:
Linux Worthy of Any Economy]====
* ''"I found this spectacular article on reasons to consider Linux in a down
economy. Actually, they work in any economy.
[http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/SuseLinuxRants/~3/479548376/ Take a look:] "''

====[http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/12/10/setting-up-a-simple-router/ Johan
Kotze: Setting up a simple router]====
* ''"Today I spent the best part of the morning to configure a SLES 10 SP2
server as a simple router. I googled quite a lot and could not find a nice and
concise post on how to configure SLES 10 as a simple router, so I thought I’ll
write up my experiences in the hopes that it will help someone. Although this
was done on SLES 10 I am pretty sure it will apply to openSUSE as well. ..."''

====[http://thetoms-random-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/12/selinux-on-opensuse-111.html
Thomas Biege: SELinux on openSUSE 11.1]====
* ''"openSUSE release 11.1 will be available in a few ticks. I tried the beta5
and RC1 and it seems that 11.1 will run fast, stable and comes with a good set
of new software. From the security perspective one thing would be really
interesting: SELinux support"''

====[http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/12/11/contrib-repository-kicked-off/
Andreas Jaeger: Contrib Repository Kicked Off]====
* ''"During this week the so-called Contrib repository has been finally really
started after the discussion come to a halt some time ago. Contrib (see here
for details) is a repository managed by community members that will be frozen
at release time to make more packages available for openSUSE users. It is a
kind of “Universal” repository for third-party packages."''

==openSUSE Forums==
----
Hot topics and assorted threads from the [http://forums.opensuse.org/ forums].

====[http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/401304-send-sms-message-cellphone-kontact-kaddressbook.html
apm04: Send an SMS message to a cellphone with Kontact/kaddressbook]====
* ''"Forum member apm04 explains how to send SMS messages using
Kontact/kaddressbook in combination with Skype"''

====[http://forums.opensuse.org/screenshots/400863-december-2008-screenshot-thread.html
googlehelper: December 2008 Screenshot Thread]====
* ''"Have a look at our monthly screenshot thread and share your own screenshot
of openSUSE with the community"''

==Past Events/Meetings ==
----
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/11/22/opensuse-project-meeting-32/ December
03, 2008: openSUSE Project Meeting]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/02/opensuse-111-goldmaster/ December 04,
2008: openSUSE 11.1 Goldmaster (internal)]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/12/07/hackfest-new-to-linux/ December 08,
2008: Hackfest "New to Linux"]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/12/08/marketing-team-meeting/ December 09,
2008: Marketing Team Meeting]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/11/29/kde-team-meeting-4/ December 10, 2008:
KDE Team Meeting]====

==Upcoming Events/Meetings==
----
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/11/13/opensuse-education-for-111-rc1/
December 13, 2008: openSUSE-Education for 11.1 RC1]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/12/08/opensuse-project-meeting-33/ December
17, 2008: openSUSE Project Meeting]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/02/opensuse-111-public-release/ December
18, 2008: openSUSE 11.1 Public Release]====
====[http://news.opensuse.org/2008/11/13/opensuse-education-for-111-goldmaster/
December 20, 2008: openSUSE-Education for 11.1 Goldmaster]====

==Security Updates==
----
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as
they're released, refer to the
[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/ openSUSE Security
Announce] mailing list.
====[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2008-12/msg00001.html
SUSE Security Announcement: Linux kernel (SUSE-SA:2008:057)]====
* Package: kernel

* Announcement ID: SUSE-SA:2008:057

* Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:00:00 +0000

* Affected Products: SUSE SLES 9

* Novell Linux Desktop 9
* Novell Linux POS 9
* Vulnerability Type: denial of service
* Severity (1-10): 6
====[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2008-12/msg00002.html
SUSE Security Summary Report: SUSE-SR:2008:027]====
* Announcement ID: SUSE-SR:2008:027
* Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:00:00 +0000
* Cross-References: CVE-2008-2379, CVE-2008-2829, CVE-2008-3825
* CVE-2008-3834, CVE-2008-4094, CVE-2008-4314
* CVE-2008-4989, CVE-2008-5189, CVE-2008-5277
*
* Content of this advisory:
* 1) Solved Security Vulnerabilities:
====[http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2008-12/msg00000.html
SUSE Security Announcement: Kernel (SUSE-SA:2008:056)]====
* Package: kernel
* Announcement ID: SUSE-SA:2008:056
* Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:00:00 +0000
* Affected Products: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1
* SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP1 DEBUGINFO
* SLE SDK 10 SP1
* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1
* Vulnerability Type: denial of service

==On the Web==
----
====[http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/12/04/linux-comparison-opensuse Matthew
Hopson: Linux Comparison - openSUSE]====
* ''"Previous to writing this comparison, I have only ever used Ubuntu and
Fedora. Considering Ubuntu's popularity and reputation for being easy to use, I
was expecting openSUSE to be nowhere near as good. From the moment I was
greeted with "Welcome" as the LiveCD booted, I knew I was going to be proven
wrong."''

====[http://www.kev009.com/wp/2008/12/more-linux-file-systems/ kev009: More
Linux File Systems]====
* ''"It seems I caught the wave of interest in Linux file systems. Here are
some articles worth checking out: ..."''

====[http://bin-false.org/?p=142 bin-false.org: openSUSE 11.1 Review]====
* ''"I’ve been a long time SuSE user, I enjoyed the old boxed sets with the big
manuals and CD books full of software. With that view I have always looked
forward to every release of the distribution. ..."''

====[http://whdb.com/2008/top-25-linux-games-for-2008/ Jimmy Atkinson: Top 25
Linux Games]====
* ''"If you’re interested in games for a Linux platform, then you know that
game probably is open source, free from cost in most cases, and free to modify.
The latter attribute is why Linux games are so popular…a developer can take a
great game and make it even better, share it with the world, and become a hero.
So, why waste your time and money on proprietary games when so many great Linux
games are available? ..."''

====[http://twit.tv/floss48 Leo Laporte: FLOSS Weekly 48 - OpenSUSE]====
* ''"Guest: Joe “Zonker” Brockmeier Novell's community manager for OpenSUSE"''

==Statistics==
----
Numbers in brackets show the changes compared to last week.

=== Communication ===
[http://lists.opensuse.org/ lists.opensuse.org] has 36291 (+62) non-unique
Forums] have 16845 (+474) registered users - most users including guests ever
online was 7771, 02-Dec-2008 at 17:31.

===Contributors===
1909 (+39) of 3333 (+77) registered contributors in the
[https://users.opensuse.org/ User Directory] have signed the [[Guiding
Principles]]. The board has acknowledged 249 [[members]].

===Build Service===
The [http://build.opensuse.org Build Service] now hosts 4678 (+79) projects,
57490 (+827) packages, 8755 (-474) repositories by 10755 (+156) confirmed users.

===Bugzilla===
The numbers for all openSUSE project products are this week:
* All Open Reports: 4446 (-48)
* Blocker: 13
* Critical: 225 (-9)
* Major: 707 (-31)
* Normal: 2382 (-11)
* Minor: 464 (-14)
* Enhancements: 655 (+16)

[http://tinyurl.com/392jnb Detailed Bugzilla Report] &ndash; [[Submitting Bug
Reports]] &ndash; [[Bug Reporting FAQ]]

===Translations===
Daily updated translation statistics are available on the
[http://i18n.opensuse.org/ openSUSE Localization Portal].

[http://i18n.opensuse.org/stats/trunk/toplist.php Trunk Top-List] &ndash;
[[OpenSUSE_Localization_Guide|Localization Guide]]

==Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved==
----
comments on any of the things mentioned in this article? Then head right over
to the [http://news.opensuse.org/?p=1114 news.openSUSE.org story] comment
section and let us know! Communicate with or get help from the wider openSUSE
community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see [[Communicate]].

If you would like to be a part of the openSUSE Weekly news, then please send an
email over to [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-marketing
opensuse-marketing@xxxxxxxxxxxx] (you need to [[Communicate|subscribe]] first).

You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at
http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/?feed=rss2

==Credits==
----
* [[User:Dl9pf|Jan-Simon Möller]] (Chief-Editor)
* [[User:saigkill|Sascha Manns]] (Second Chief Editor, Main-Newsletter)
* [[User:Beineri|Stephan Binner]] (Main-Newsletter and Statistics)
* [[User:Rhorstkoetter|Rupert Horstkötter]] (Main-Newsletter, openSUSE-Forums)

[[de:OpenSUSE-Wochenschau/50]]
[[es:OpenSUSE_Noticias_Semanales/50]]
[[ja:OpenSUSE Weekly News/50]]
[[ru:Еженедельные_новости_openSUSE/50]]
[[pl:Tygodnik_openSUSE/50]]
[[pt:Notícias_da_semana_no_openSUSE/50]]

----
[http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/50 English]
[http://de.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE-Wochenschau/50 Deutsch]
[http://es.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Noticias_Semanales/50 Español]