Re: [opensuse-marketing] Attracting Windows Users
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:38:19 +0200
Lørdag 25 oktober 2008 11:22:59 skrev Stephan Binner:
On Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:24:53 Martin Schlander wrote:
For help maybe a better and smaller quickstart guide - maybe 30-40 pages

How have existing quickstart and user guides to change, or are they not

The startup guide included in the box, and available as pdf and html, is
certainly under-exposed - not many know about it. Even if they did I'm afraid
it's a little too long to be considered a quick start guide - only very
enthusiastic people will pick it up. It also suffers from not being able to
cover such things as how to get support for multimedia codecs.

What I have in mind is a little short guide of 1-3 pages per topic (installing
packages, using a terminal, configuring network etc.), for the impatient.
Almost like a pamphlet or something. A lot of electronic devices will have a
little "Getting started quick" guide, alongside the full manual.

Some training/courses and more local user groups offering face-to-face

Web trainings? For comparision,for Ubuntu they're offered only for cash

Ideally real life training, but of course getting lecturers and rooms is
difficult - doesn't have to be free (as in free beer) though.

My lug is currently looking into creating a 6-8 lecture "Linux on the desktop
for n00bs" course - each lecture covering a basic topic "installation",
"desktops", "terminal", "free software/open source", "troubleshooting", "major
applications", etc. Hopefully we can get if off the ground, and do it twice a
year. Unfortunately there's still some debate as to whether it should be
Ubuntu centric or distro agnostic.. damn hobbits are everywhere :-|

Something like the videos included in the 11.0 German box set might also do
the trick - if they were only done right, covering the right topics. Advanced
use of OOo and GIMP or how to lose all your KDE data is all very nice. But a
lot of new users give up in the first day or two I think - maybe 5-10 minute
screencasts showing "howto add repositories and install packages", "basic use
of a terminal", "how to configure network", "installing 3d blobs", "how to get
multimedia support", "(proper) introduction to a KDE4 desktop" etc.

This is also something that the community could do. The problem is just who
can and will do a good job producing the screencasts - preferably a native
English speaker - and how to make sure the stuff gets seen by as many people
as possible.