Re: [opensuse-marketing] Attracting Windows Users
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:38:19 +0200
Lørdag 25 oktober 2008 11:22:59 skrev Stephan Binner:
On Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:24:53 Martin Schlander wrote:
For help maybe a better and smaller quickstart guide - maybe 30-40 pages

How have existing quickstart and user guides to change, or are they not
read?

The startup guide included in the box, and available as pdf and html, is
certainly under-exposed - not many know about it. Even if they did I'm afraid
it's a little too long to be considered a quick start guide - only very
enthusiastic people will pick it up. It also suffers from not being able to
cover such things as how to get support for multimedia codecs.

What I have in mind is a little short guide of 1-3 pages per topic (installing
packages, using a terminal, configuring network etc.), for the impatient.
Almost like a pamphlet or something. A lot of electronic devices will have a
little "Getting started quick" guide, alongside the full manual.

Some training/courses and more local user groups offering face-to-face

Web trainings? For comparision,for Ubuntu they're offered only for cash
afaik.

Ideally real life training, but of course getting lecturers and rooms is
difficult - doesn't have to be free (as in free beer) though.

My lug is currently looking into creating a 6-8 lecture "Linux on the desktop
for n00bs" course - each lecture covering a basic topic "installation",
"desktops", "terminal", "free software/open source", "troubleshooting", "major
applications", etc. Hopefully we can get if off the ground, and do it twice a
year. Unfortunately there's still some debate as to whether it should be
Ubuntu centric or distro agnostic.. damn hobbits are everywhere :-|

Something like the videos included in the 11.0 German box set might also do
the trick - if they were only done right, covering the right topics. Advanced
use of OOo and GIMP or how to lose all your KDE data is all very nice. But a
lot of new users give up in the first day or two I think - maybe 5-10 minute
screencasts showing "howto add repositories and install packages", "basic use
of a terminal", "how to configure network", "installing 3d blobs", "how to get
multimedia support", "(proper) introduction to a KDE4 desktop" etc.

This is also something that the community could do. The problem is just who
can and will do a good job producing the screencasts - preferably a native
English speaker - and how to make sure the stuff gets seen by as many people
as possible.