Re: [opensuse-marketing] Opensuse 11.0 boxed versions?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:22:19 +0200
Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 21:04 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

When are the boxed sets going to be available, not on pre-order, but as
a live order as I have seen nothing on the announcements list ?

According to an email I got from Novell, they ship this Thursday, June
26th. I agree with you that they should be available same day, but we've
had several discussions on the main mailinglist about this, and from
what I'm getting, it's because the release to the public is one week
after the product goes gold, and that's not enough time to get boxed
editions produced and shipped. One week after the release is the
quickest I've seen a boxed edition become available, since the openSUSE
project started anyway (I wasn't following boxed editions before then).

You lucky, you got mail from Novell. What are signed up to to receive it?

Despite them saying the boxes are being shipped on the 26th, on visiting
the site of http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE and selecting my region,
I still only get the option to pre-order the box i.e.
http://shop.novell.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=novelleu&Locale=en_GB&Env=BASE&productID=105125500&&resid=L2h9NQoBAkcAAA@N0hwAAAAJ&rests=1214492352576
This is at 15h00 UTC. To me the day of the 26th started at 00h00 i.e.
midnight on the 25th.

You mention a week being the fastest you have seen for boxed sets to be
produced. Has Novell not heard of forward planning? When the product
went into Beta or even RC status, someone at Novell should have ordered
the boxes printed so that by the time GM time comes, the DVD's can be
mass produced, put in a box ready for shipping and it can be announced
that the version has been released. The download mirrors are opened to
the new software and people not downloading but visiting the on-line
store are able to order and know that the package is on its way when
they have completed the transaction.

The openSuSE and SuSE distribution is a slick piece of software that
needs to have slick distribution otherwise its name is dirtied by poor
sales and distribution. If Susians knew that if a box set was ordered,
they would receive it as soon as the postal system could deliver it, I
am sure Novell would make far more money from the openSuSE boxed sets.

Its all in the planning.

I hope the necessary websites will enable me to order tomorrow and
choose my shipment method.

Regards
Hylton