Re: [opensuse-m17n] IM-related issues on openSUSE 12.1 Beta
At Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:03:54 +0800,
Ray Chen wrote:

在 2011年10月26日下午8:48,Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> 寫道:
At Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:02:13 +0800,
Ray Chen wrote:

在 2011年10月26日上午4:00,Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> 寫道:
At Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:48:19 +0800,
Ray Chen wrote:

I've install openSUSE 12.1 rc1 DVD
I found that both ibus and scim related packages were installed by
default in Traditional Chinese environment
If we want ibus as default input method frame
scim should leave in DVD rather than install to the system
If I want to use scim, I can install it from DVD or oss repo

My suggestion:
We should set PRIORITY of ibus to 60 for openSUSE 12.1 (older version
leave it as 40)
and remove "Provides: locale(ja;zh;ko)" from scim-related packages, so
they won't be install by default

Why?  Just because SCIM is not used as default?

Yes, for an end user, if want to switch from ibus to scim,
all he(she) can think about it is to install scim and see if this works.
but if scim was installed, system still use ibus,
he(she) would try to unstall ibus.
But if we set ibus priority to 60, and not install scim by default,
he(she) can easily switch to scim,
maybe he will find that scim didn't fit his need, just remove scim,
and it's OK to return to ibus.

In your argument, the case with multiple users is totally missing.

So if I want to try scim, I can just install scim (which PRIORITY is
50 (and 49 for scim-bridge))
and I don't have to do anything except a relogin

No, this doesn't make sense.  The priority should indicate really the
priority.  If you do such a trick, the bug will return in the end later.
If openSUSE have an input method switch system(like ubuntu and debian
have a command : im-switch)
that the priority should really indicate the priority.
cause ibus fit the most general usage, so when no "user-define"
input-method was set, ibus should load automatically.
But openSUSE have not such tool, (yes, I know I can set "export
INPUT_METHOD="your_choice""
in ~./profile to specify input-method I need)

Or change /etc/sysconfig/language.

we have to do something convenience for end user,that is:
let user's newly installed input-method get the high priority (smaller
number).

No, the installation order would be random at the first installation.
(Imagine you install two IMs in the first installation.)
OK, I understand

or, maybe we should develop a small ui tool,(or port im-switch to
openSUSE) let users can easily switch their input-method.

This is the way to go.
Hope this will come true soon

Hey, you can join! ;)

thanks,

Takashi

Another ibus issue is about the icons
By now, these icons are not so good looking in both KDE4 and GNOME3,
(I'm talking about icons in /usr/share/ibus-chewing/icons/ (or any
other ibus-*/icons/)
Hope openSUSE artwork team can help to improve

I think it's better to ask this in another ML.
If we get a better icon and upstream it, it'll be certainly a good
contribution from openSUSE.

thanks,

Takashi