Re: [opensuse-m17n] IM-related issues on openSUSE 12.1 Beta
At Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:41:19 +0200,
Vincent Untz wrote:

Le mardi 11 octobre 2011, à 14:20 +0200, Takashi Iwai a écrit :
At Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:54:41 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> A simple patch like below might work? Then we can set xim to
> GTK3_IM_MODULE while scim to GTK_IM_MODULE.
> I created a branch and building the package now for testing in
> OBS home:tiwai:branches:GNOME:Factory/gtk3 repo.
> Can anyone check (sorry I have no time right now).

> But the problem isn't only about SCIM but may hit other IMs, too.
> So, a fallback mechanism would be nicer.

Very simple patch!

I set variables like:
GTK3_IM_MODULE=xim
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"

It works fine for gedit (Gtk3, fall back to xim), firefox and chromium
(Gtk2).

Good to hear.

Vincent, what do you think? Can it be accepted to the upstream and
eventually put into 12.1?

Vincent? Or anyone else? I attach the patch again.

[The problem is that some input methods don't provide gtk3 but only
gtk2 im-modules. When $GTK_IM_MODULE is set to such a module, gtk3
can't take it then chooses another available IM randomly, or nothing
is available. The patch changes gtk3 to take a look at
$GTK3_IM_MODULE first, so that the user can set a value specific to
gtk3. With the patch, setting GTK3_IM_MODULE=xim gives a nice
workaround.]

The patch would be fine for me, but we really want it to be accepted
upstream before using this.

Yeah, of course.

Was it filed upstream?

Not from me. I'm going to check and file a bug if not found.

thanks,

Takashi