ghostscript and LyX-CJK
  • From: hisha <dmtaisaku@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:06:30 +0000 (UTC)
Dear list,

I just installed SUSE9.3, japanese version, in Unicode.
Basically everything works, except two snags:
1)
lyx-cjk-1.3.5-3 does not allow for kanji input in the main
window. I tried this after starting
kinput2 -canna&
LANG=ja_JP LC_XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" lyx-cjk
I can see japanese text, e.g. the splash.lyx file.
I can input Japanese if I open the "find" dialog, or
in the lower bar, the minibuffer, and even copy and paste
the result into the main window, but NOT enter Japanese
directly.
This worked still fine with SUSE 9.1.

2)
Next, ghostview. I took an example file, like
http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/vertical-orizontal-test.ps
I verified that I can open this in my old SUSE8.2 and see
all characters correctly.
Next, I open it with gs as normal user in 9.3, from bash.
The result are Mojibake and the messages:
---
gs vertical-horizontal-test.ps
ESP Ghostscript 8.15 (2004-09-22)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING
for details.
Scanning /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ for fonts... 12 files,
12 scanned, 0 new fonts.
Scanning /usr/share/fonts/ for fonts... 2 files, 2
scanned, 0 new fonts.
Can't find (or can't open) font file
/home/hisha/Resource/Font/Ryumin-Light-UniJIS-UTF8-V.
Can't find (or can't open) font file
Ryumin-Light-UniJIS-UTF8-V.
Querying operating system for font files...
Didn't find this font on the system!
Substituting font Courier for Ryumin-Light-UniJIS-UTF8-V.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 2395532
1032646 1474788 180942 1 done.
Can't find (or can't open) font file
/home/hisha/Resource/Font/Ryumin-Light-UniJIS-UTF8-H.
Can't find (or can't open) font file
Ryumin-Light-UniJIS-UTF8-H.
Didn't find this font on the system!
Substituting font Courier for Ryumin-Light-UniJIS-UTF8-H.
>>showpage, press <return> to continue<<
---
Then I switched to root (su -) and there I CAN
open the file, without a hitch.
The messages are in this case
---
ESP Ghostscript 8.15 (2004-09-22)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING
for details.
Scanning /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ for fonts... 12 files,
12 scanned, 0 new fonts.
Scanning /usr/share/fonts/ for fonts... 2 files, 2
scanned, 0 new fonts.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/ipam.ttf to emulate a
CID font Ryumin-Light ... Done.
>>showpage, press <return> to continue<<
---

These two things happend just afer I installed the system,
so I did not change the standard configuration.
Now, because I did not find any hint in the suse-cjk
guide, does anybody have an idea of what might be going
wrong?

Hisha

Save the earth
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/ondanka/