Re: [m17n] scim/skim question
  • From: Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:32:31 +0000 (UTC)
Tobias Burnus <burnus@xxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:

> I'll just started to use skim/scim (first for my first steps in Chinese
> and as support for the Chinese members in our group). (I've the new
> version from projects/m17n/ on a SUSE Linux 9.2 system with de_DE.UTF-8.)
>
> In the skim configuration dialog I can enter keyboard shortcuts to
> enable/disable scim and to change to the next input, but they don't seem
> to be effective.

Did you click on "Reload config"?

> Is there a simple method to disable/enable scim completely? I mean in a
> way I can quickly re-enable it. I tend to hit Shift+space rather
> frequently and get then some nice characters, e.g., instead of leaving
> vi (":q").

If you have the latest packages from projects/m17n, you can change
the trigger key from the command line like this:

scim-config-agent -s /Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger=Control+Alt+Shift+space
scim-config-agent --reload

You could put such commands to set the trigger key to some weird,
inconvenient key combination which you cannot hit by accident in to a
script and execute such a script with a button on your KDE desktop for
example. Then you would have a button to disable and another button to
enable scim.

Currently it is *not* possible to disable scim by making the value of
/Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger empty, in that case scim uses Control+Space
which is hardcoded in the source code.

Maybe it should be allowed to disable keybindings by setting them to
empty? Zhe Su, what do you think?

> At "Scim server|input methods" of Skim config, I can enable/disable
> input methods, but it does not seem to have any effect on both the menu
> shown by the kicker applet or on the methods shown when cycling through.

Looks like you need to reload the config.

> What is the difference between Keyboard and
> German/Keyboard>German/European by the way?

I think none.

> Question of the complete novice in Chinese: Next to the input parameter
> field I see with "intelligent pinyin" a button labeled "中" and three
> other symbols still unknown to me. What is ment by those?

The symbol which looks like a crescent moon toggles between full width
and half width. You can use that for example to write full with LAT
IN. The next button to the right which shows a period and a comma
toggles between the full width and the half width forms for
punctuation.

> By the way, I'll completely miss a description of how the input methods
> work.

Yes, some more documentation is needed. Some nice descriptions made by
users are already available on the internet and I plan to add some
description of the various scim input methods to my home page as well
after SuSE 9.3 is released.

> I figured out that, e.g., unicode works by entering the entering
> the hex code of the character, but what means "unicode", "utf-8",

No, the 4 digit Unicode code point, i.e. UCS2 (=UTF-16 in the BMP).

> "de" next to it?

"de" next to what?

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian