Re: [m17n] skim and option reloading
  • From: Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:22:02 +0000 (UTC)
Tobias Burnus <burnus@xxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:

> - used input methods: I can call reload from the menu plus call --reload.

After that your new hotkey settings should be active. At least that
works fine for me. Do you experience problems already here?

> If I choose exit, it restartes but the hotkey does no longer work.

Better don't use that exit button in the scim-panel, as it kills scim.
GTK2 and QT applications (which use scim via the input module plugin
support) will restart scim, but old-style X applications which use
scim via XIM will not restart scim. And such XIM clients like xterm,
mlterm, java, (X)Emacs, ... will often hang if their XIM server is
suddenly killed.

This "exit" button is only there in a debugging build of scim.
It is not very useful though.

Currently I build the scim packages with --enable-debug because it is
helpful to track down problems. Maybe I switch that of for the SuSE
9.3 release.

> If I kill everything scim related,

That is also problematic, for the same reasons as using this "exit"
button.

> then the applet restarts (automatically) and I finally get the
> updated input method. => Reported to scim bugtracker.

Restarting everything scim related cleanly is indeed a bit difficult.
I often have the problem that the scim-panel-gtk behaves
strangely after a

killall scim-launcher; killall scim-panel-gtk;
scim -d

often some buttons are missing or the fonts are too small. Killing
scim-panel-gtk once again often helps.

Currently the only really clean way to restart scim seems to be to
exit all applications using scim first (usually that means to exit
your X session as well) and then restart.

> - somehow the trigger commands (control-s) have problems after such a
> forced restart.

I cannot remember that I ever had that problem, but as I wrote
above, scim often behaves strange after a forced restart.

I have no problems with reloading the options though. At least I can
change the key bindings and then reload the options either from the
panel or from the command line without problems.

> I think I will stay with scim and try very hard _not_ to set options
> which require the restart of scim since this seems to cause problems.

There are options which do indeed require a restart and then it may
become a bit difficult if you want to avoid to restart your X session
(usually works for me though. But sometimes I need to kill and restart
several times).

> Hopefully, in SUSE 9.3 it will work better.

Of course we are trying to make it work as good as possible and
reports from users like you certainly help a lot.

Zhe Su, the scim author does a wonderful job with scim, although there
are still some minor bugs, I think it is great already and a huge
improvement over the input methods we used by default for SuSE Linux
<= 9.1.

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。