UTF-8 and konsole, ssh
  • From: Filippos Papadopoulos <filip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:52:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hi to list. Best wishes for the new Year.

I have the following problem:
I am using 9.2 with UTF-8.
The problem is that when i try to view a file written in ISO-8859-7 under konsole (say via cat or less), i just see round squares (cat) or some numbers (less). Same things happen when i slogin to a Solaris 9 machine with LANG=el (defaults to 8859-7 to Solaris).

Ok i understand this because the encodings are different but this really messes up my work... I sent emails via pine so u understand that the 8859-7 characters are displayed as complete trash. The funny thing is that Solaris 9 says that supports UTF-8 but thats not full (it cant cope with many Greek letters).

So is there any way under my SuSE 9.2 KDE konsole to see my 8859-7 characters while working both locally and remotely (of course still using the UTF-8 encoding)?

Thanks.

< Previous Next >