The Virtues of SCIM or was that SKIM?
  • From: Jethro Cramp <jsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 06:03:54 +0000 (UTC)
Mike,

>>You can of course use the gtk frontend of SCIM even when using KDE and
>>this will be the default for SuSE 9.2 because the gtk gui of SCIM is
>>currently more reliable.

On Monday I upgraded to the latest scim rpms from the suse ftp server
and thought that I would give skim a whirl for the first time. Now I'm
not sure if it is the latest scim or skim that has made the difference
but lots of little annoyances have disappeared. With previous versions
of scim and the gtk panel I could never get the entry box to appear
where I was typing (this is under KDE). In OpenOffice.org if I entered some text and then
went to the middle of the text and entered more characters there would
be a horrible mess with the cursor jumping to the end of the row and
possibly leaving the characters sprayed over the existing text.

For the first time under Linux I now feel that I can use chinese IM and
not feel that I am using something inferior than the windows IM.

Well done James Su and any contributors.

So although the gtk gui will be the default will skim be included for
the more adventurous users?

Finally in the big betting game for the release date of SuSE9.2 will you
risk the wrath of management and hazard a 'guess' at a release date?

Jethro Cramp
jsc @ rock-tnsc.com

< Previous Next >
List Navigation