[Resend: Bad From: addr] Chinese pinyin phonetics input [OpenOffice]:
  • From: Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:11:08 +0000 (UTC)
[Wups! This is a resend. The previous version of this message was sent
from a mailer that was not correctly configured and so put in an
erroneous "From: " address. Please use return address in my signature.]

What is the standard practice for inputting Chinese pinyin (not
bopomofo!) phonetics into a document? I'm writing a document where I'd
like to include, for each sentence:

1. Chinese characters
2. pinyin transcription of the Chinese characters
3. English translation

I am having little problem with the Chinese character input. The
problem is including the tone marks required by the pinyin
transcription. I've tried wierd latin vowels, but have not been able to
find a complete set necessary. I've been using "Insert -> Special
Character" in OpenOffice.

Also, wheneven I set the XMODIFIERS to other than "@im=local", the
compose key stops working, so I am forced to use cut-n-paste to input
any non-English chars. How can I get the compose key to work together
with a Chinese input method?

I'm running SuSE Linux 8.2, KDE 3.1.2 from SuSE, OpenOffice.org 1.0.2
and SCIM 0.8.2 from http://ns.turbolinux.com.cn/~suzhe/scim/. I run my
basic system in the en_US.UTF-8 locale, changing LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.UTF-8
for my Chinese work. BTW, I also have xcin running for my work with
Traditional Chinese characters, though I'm not using it for this
project. I start them both up (xcin and SCIM) when starting up the X
Window System.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a class project due soon and am
tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to do this!!!

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip Amadeo Saeli