Re: [m17n] [Resend: Bad From: addr] Chinese pinyin phonetics input :
  • From: Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:27:09 +0000 (UTC)
* Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx> [031208 15:45]:
> Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:
>
> > I am having little problem with the Chinese character input. The
> > problem is including the tone marks required by the pinyin
> > transcription. I've tried wierd latin vowels, but have not been able to
> > find a complete set necessary. I've been using "Insert -> Special
> > Character" in OpenOffice.
>
> Maybe you are using an unsuitable font? You can choose a
> font in this "Insert -> Special Character" dialog in OpenOffice.
>
> Which characters do you need for PinYin?

Specifically, I needed the vowels [aeiou] with the first and third tone
marks above them, which are basically a dash and an upside-down caret
respectively. The vowels with second and fourth tone marks could be
represented by existing latin-1 chars.

> I guess "FreeSans" or "Luxi Sans" have all you need.

Don't know about "FreeSans", but "Luxi Sans" did -not- have all the
needed chars.

I finally found several fonts (in addition to the Arphic GB TTF fonts)
that included the needed chars, which solved part of my problem. The
Arphic font I was using ("AR PL KaitiM GB", in OpenOffice) had the
needed chars, but they were double wide and hence unsuitable, the rest
of the base Latin chars being standard width.

For anyone who is interested, the fonts which included the needed chars
were (names from the OpenOffice font selection menu):

"AR PL KaitiM GB" (full char cell width)
"AR PL SungtiL GB" (full char cell width)
"Caslon"
"Caslon RomanSmallcaps"
"Courier New"
"Gentium"
"Gentium Alt"
"New Century Schoolbook"
"Times New Roman"

I have, for now, settled on the Gentium font for the pinyin chars. The
needed chars are scattered about the "Latin-A" and "Latin-B" sections of
the OO special character insertion dialog.

> > so I am forced to use cut-n-paste to input any non-English chars.
>
> You can make cut-n-paste somewhat more effective if you create a plain
> text file with the characters you most frequently need, display
> this file and cut and paste from there.
>
> This is certainly more efficient than the special symbol input of
> OpenOffice where you don't have all the characters you need close
> together and apparently you cannot keep that dialog open either.

Not being able to keep that dialog open between selections is indeed a
big nuisance.

> > How can I get the compose key to work together with a Chinese input
> > method?

> IIIMF is supposed to solve that problem in the long run.

What is IIIMF?

Thanks!

Phil

--