Re: [m17n] [Resend: Bad From: addr] Chinese pinyin phonetics input :
  • From: Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:12:35 +0000 (UTC)
Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:

> * Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx> [031208 15:45]:
>> Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:
>>
>> > I am having little problem with the Chinese character input. The
>> > problem is including the tone marks required by the pinyin
>> > transcription. I've tried wierd latin vowels, but have not been able to
>> > find a complete set necessary. I've been using "Insert -> Special
>> > Character" in OpenOffice.
>>
>> Maybe you are using an unsuitable font? You can choose a
>> font in this "Insert -> Special Character" dialog in OpenOffice.
>>
>> Which characters do you need for PinYin?
>
> Specifically, I needed the vowels [aeiou] with the first and third tone
> marks above them, which are basically a dash and an upside-down caret
> respectively. The vowels with second and fourth tone marks could be
> represented by existing latin-1 chars.

I.e. you need:

U+01CD: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH CARON
U+01CE: LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH CARON
U+01CF: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH CARON
U+01D0: LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH CARON
U+01D1: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH CARON
U+01D2: LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH CARON
U+01D3: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH CARON
U+01D4: LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH CARON
U+011A: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH CARON
U+011B: LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CARON

U+0100: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH MACRON
U+0101: LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH MACRON
U+012A: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH MACRON
U+012B: LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH MACRON
U+014C: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH MACRON
U+014D: LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH MACRON
U+016A: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH MACRON
U+016B: LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON
U+0112: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH MACRON
U+0113: LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH MACRON

is that right?

I think it is quite easy to add a new input method to SCIM which
enables you to input these characters. That would probably be the most
efficient way for you to input these characters as you are using SCIM
anyway. I have to update the SuSE SCIM packages anyway, I'll have a
look whether I can add something like that.

>> I guess "FreeSans" or "Luxi Sans" have all you need.
>
> Don't know about "FreeSans", but "Luxi Sans" did -not- have all the
> needed chars.

I just checks, you are right, "Luxi Sans" lacks a few glyphs for the
above characters but "FreeSans" has them all. "FreeSans" is in the
"freefont" rpm-package on SuSE Linux 9.0.

> I finally found several fonts (in addition to the Arphic GB TTF fonts)
> that included the needed chars, which solved part of my problem. The
> Arphic font I was using ("AR PL KaitiM GB", in OpenOffice) had the
> needed chars, but they were double wide and hence unsuitable, the rest
> of the base Latin chars being standard width.
>
> For anyone who is interested, the fonts which included the needed chars
> were (names from the OpenOffice font selection menu):
>
> "AR PL KaitiM GB" (full char cell width)
> "AR PL SungtiL GB" (full char cell width)
> "Caslon"
> "Caslon RomanSmallcaps"
> "Courier New"
> "Gentium"
> "Gentium Alt"
> "New Century Schoolbook"
> "Times New Roman"

"Courier New", "Times New Roman" are commercial fonts (from the
Microsoft "Webfonts")

"New Century Schoolbook" is one of the classic X11 Bitmap fonts, you
probably don't want to use a bitmap font in OpenOffice.

"Gentium" is not distributable without asking the author. I wrote an
e-mail to the author asking whether it is OK to distribute "Gentium"
with SuSE Linux but never received an reply, therfore this font isn't
included with SuSE Linux.

"Caslon" is free and included with SuSE Linux.

But "FreeSans" might be better, a serif version ("FreeSerif") and a
monospaced version "FreeMono" are available as well. All of them in
regular, bold, oblique, and bold-oblique. And apparently these fonts
are actively developed, if you miss some characters, I suggest to ask
the author to add it. The home page of the freefont project is:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/

>> > How can I get the compose key to work together with a Chinese input
>> > method?
>
>> IIIMF is supposed to solve that problem in the long run.
>
> What is IIIMF?

The designated successor of XIM (X Input Method).

XIM has quite a few design limitations, one of them is that you cannot
easily switch input methods on the fly, usually you have to decide
which input method to use before starting an application and cannot
change it later. This is the reason why you cannot use compose
together with SCIM in OpenOffice.

IIIMF (Internet Intranet Input Method Framework) is a redesign which
supposedly does not have many of the limitations of XIM. Being able
to switch between different input methods at random is on of the
design features of IIIMF. IIIMF is not yet included in SuSE Linux but
may be included in future.

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。