Re: [m17n] [Resend: Bad From: addr] Chinese pinyin phonetics input :
  • From: Ulrich Ruess <utde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:58:43 +0000 (UTC)
On Wednesday, December 10, 2003 2:13, Mike FABIAN wrote:
> Ulrich Ruess <utde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:
> > I had the same problem. I have searched for years to find a font that has
> > glyphs for the tone marks, but could find none.
>
> Have you tried "FreeSans", "FreeSerif", "FreeMono" (from the
> "freefont" package on SuSE Linux 9.0)?

Yes, I have tried them. The problem is, in traditional Chinese and in the UN
transcription (yes, pinyin also applies to traditional Chinese), the tone
mark is not put above one of the vowels, but at the end of the word as it's
last "letter". You therefore do not need accented characters, but only the
five glyphs representing the five tones (normally people talk about four
tones only, the fifth is for words that have lost their original tone).
Putting the tone marks above the vowels is only a typographical nicety done
in the PRC. There is no meaning as of where the stress in pronunciation
should be behind it. Chinese consider a syllable a unit. The tone applies to
the whole unit as such, not the vowel!